Belkin router with multiple ethernet connections

marshallnaut

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Hello,
I have a belkin router that I've been using to share internet connectivity with several devices around my home. It has happily supplied this to an Ethernet connected desktop, Ethernet connected Blu-ray player, and wireless connections to two seperate laptop computers. When I try to add one more Ethernet (wired) connection to the mix, I always run into problems. Although the router has 4 outgoing Ethernet ports, it doesn't like to do more than two. Should I buy a new router? Cables? Am I missing some networking strategy requirement that must be adhered to?

Solution
If you switch the jacks (say the computers are plugged into 1 & 2) to say, 3 & 4 do they still work, or does the router still have an issue?

marshallnaut

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Good tip sk1939, thank you. I tried connecting three hard wire Ethernet lines to the router using ports 4, 3 and 2. Everything works when set up that way. Before today I had the two hard wired devices plugged in to #1 and #2 ports. When #3 was added, the trouble started. For some reason it seems to work fine coming from the other side. May end up buying a router anyway if any instability starts to show up.

sk1939

Distinguished

You could also buy a 5 port switch, plug that into port 1, and plug the rest of your devices into the remaining ports on the switch. Would probably be cheaper than buying a new router.