Benchmark Results - Are They Fair?

Feb 10, 2019
Greetings,

Could you please let me know if my benchmark results are "normal"?

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/6174909 <-Here are the results.

Because when I take a look at other results, like Gaming PC or Gaming Laptop for example, somehow I feel my results should have been much higher. Just look to the sample Gaming Laptop rig, it has GTX 980, and the average score is higher than my gtx 1060. How it could be possible? Is it normal? GTX 1060 is way better than 980 and both rigs are for laptops, so why my score is lower than the sample gaming laptop rig average?

Any suggestions and explanations would be more than welcome. Thanks!

GangstaSlime

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2015
Are you running on a laptop or a desktop?
If you're on a laptop, what exact model & brand?
If you're on a desktop, what's your complete system specs?

If you're on a desktop, it could be that your gpu's performance is being held back by weaker parts (ram, hdd/ssd, mobo, cpu, etc).
If you're on a laptop, it could be the manufacturer has placed a cap on the gpu so that the system doesn't overheat. Like above, it could also be your gpu's performance is being held back by weaker parts (ram, hdd/ssd, mobo, cpu, etc).

Some laptop brands have a built-in performance toggler that lets you prioritize battery life over speed and vice versa.
In addition, laptops simply tend to run slower than a desktop, even when their hardware is similar.

Feb 10, 2019

Thanks for your answer. Well I can't tell if 900 series performing better than 1060 on laptops by looking to these articles, but I can clearly see that Nvidia claims Geforce 10 series' laptop versions performing almost the same with their desktop counterparts. Which makes my situation even weirder.

@GangstaSlime

Thanks for your answer. I'm on laptop. My laptop brand is Asus ROG FX504GM-71250 Full HD Intel Core_i7 8750H NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

Actually you can see all the specs on the link I gave at the first post of this thread. Navigate lower section of that page and you will see everything.

According to the benchmark result, GPU clock speed was 1860 hertz which seems normal. I was running the test on High Performance Mode energy plan, and after updated every driver and all.

Also guys, I just ran the same benchmark on my desktop, which has GTX 970, and the score is 3647. So even my old desktop with 970 has a better score than my brand new laptop with GTX 1060.

Something must be really wrong with the laptop.