benchmarking and crysis

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
I just realised something Kind of funny, from what I've heard Crysis is going to be an excellent game, with excellent graphics, so you'd think it would be a great benchmark for graphics right? Well, From what I've heard, WRONG, because it seems to me that if current 8800's can run it on full graphics at 1920xwahtevericantremember (according to soldier32) then its not actually going to be that great for testing future hardware is it? unlike oblivion when It came out, no single card could play that on full, anyone think differently?
(just my random little spout of useless information :lol:)

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Not yet optimized, not all options have been properly added to the beta.. etc etc.

There's a silly thing called NDA that keeps us from getting some Crysis beta benchmarks for the time being, but I am pretty sure that no cards other than SLI GTX/X-fire HD2900 can play it on full at 1920x1200 at what I deem a playable shooter experience (45-60+ fps). Some guys may claim it runs well on their systems, but well to them may be 20-40fps and that is completely unplayable for me :S

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Sais who? :D You're not going to convince me that some guy with a quad core and ultra sli setup is not garenteed to get good framerates on ultra high. I bet a single ultra could do it.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
perhaps you should get your fact right first, Crytek already stated that current hardware will not be able to utilize the full capabilities of crysis. Not a single person has been able to benchmark the game outside of Crytek on direct x10 yet and the highest graphics, so actually no one knows. Right now on the beta the settings are capped at high, there is supposedly very high, and ultra as well.
And like Crytek already said this game will need another 2 years before there will be hardware that will be able to run everything max.

so in fact it will be like oblivion and farcry where it will take new hardware to be able to run it on max.. so it will actually be an excellent benchmarking game.

smodd

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
I think the ultra high settings must be related to the Tessalation support ... because current 8800 series don´t support that technology and the next series could be doing it, so its possible to think that the ultra high setting is reserved for that kind of technology and maybe will be supported plus with the Dx10.1 version ...

What do you think?

Regards

Omar

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I'm doubtful that Crysis has tessellation support seeing as Crytek has made no such announcement, and the HD 2900XT supports this so it technically could already be used. It sounds like we're still at least a year away from games starting to use tessellation, but who knows? The Xbox360 GPU also supports tessellation, so maybe we'll start seeing it in games closer than we thought.

schuy1

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004

And I am assuming that you program for a living?

javimars

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
i have said this plenty of times on many different forums:CRYSIS MP_BETA CAN ONLY BE RAN AT MEDIUM SETTINGS REGARLESS OF WHAT SETTINGS YOU SET IT IN OPTIONS. yes you can change the resolution but the setting can not be changed unless you are part of the team beta itself. mp_beta is for the open public with very little options while the beta within the team it self(which is about 200 people or so)can have full access to all options. dont belive me? why you think demo was pushed back to october.

duntuatha

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
I am part of the crysis beta and play it on vista on high settings(that is the highest it will let me set them) on a reso of 1680x1050 and it looks Fekking awsome... I also played it on xp at the same settings and reso and I could tell a difference between the 2 versions of directX. The physics part of the explosions were considerably different, along with other various things.

javimars

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
FOR THE LOVE OF VAGINA! CRYSIS MP_BETA is capped at MEDIUM SETTINGS. only those that are working making the game have fulll availability of in game texture settings.next time you play your silly little mp_beta take a picture of your so called "high settings" and then take a picture of medium and also low settings. post them here and you will see!.

prodystopian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
The OP makes a good point though. If Crysis isn't going to tax a machine, what game will be the new system crusher that Oblivion was (is?). I UT3 supposed to bring systems down?

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
and actually, from the screens I've seen, the mp beta isn't capped at medium (unless crytek decided to call "high" "medium" for some reason)

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
I am part of the crysis beta and play it on vista on high settings(that is the highest it will let me set them) on a reso of 1680x1050 and it looks Fekking awsome... I also played it on xp at the same settings and reso and I could tell a difference between the 2 versions of directX. The physics part of the explosions were considerably different, along with other various things.

i think u may have been under a placebo effect, because the Crysis beta is DX9 only

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

Really? maybe you should get your facts straight...

http://www.crysis-online.com/Information/System%20Requirements/

Crysis will no doubt be a fairly demanding game. It will require a good system to perform well. However, CryEngine2 is very scalable so lower end machines will still stand a chance.

Here is a list of confirmed information...

* Crysis will run on both DX9 & DX10 as well as Windows XP and Windows Vista.
* A graphics card that supports Shader Model 2 or higher is required.
* CryEngine2 is estimated to scale back 2 years, and scale ahead 1.5 years.
* A single 7800GTX will run the game quite well on fairly high settings according to Crysis Art Director, Michael Khaimzon.
* Jack Mamais of Crytek said in an exclusive Crysis-Online interview that his X1900XT runs the game very well at reasonably high settings ( still unoptmized ).
* Crysis will dynamically utilize all processing threads available. Meaning quad-core processors will be supported.

The following specs are estimates made by myself based on the above mentioned information and other sources. These estimates are NOT official - but are based on official information.

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
CPU: Athlon 64 3000+/Intel 2.8ghz
Graphics: Nvidia 6600 or ATI X1600 - Shader Model 2.0
RAM: 1GB
HDD: 6GB
Internet: 256k+
Optical Drive: DVD
Software: DX9 with Windows XP / Vista

RECOMMENDED REQUIREMENTS:
CPU: Dual-Core CPU (Athlon X2 / Pentium D / Core 2 Duo)
Graphics: Nvidia 7800 or ATI X1800 (SM 3.0)
RAM: 1.5GB+
HDD: 6GB
Internet: 512k+ (128k+ upstream)
Optical Drive: DVD
Software: DX9 with Windows XP / Vista

Hmmm....seems to make your statement a little pre-mature don't ya think??