Benchmarking Core Duo 2 vs Amd X2 64bit?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I can't notice any kind of improvement, or performance boost(booting OS or loading apps, working with apps, etc) from WinXP 64bit compared to WinXP 32bit. :?

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
I'd say 3-5 seconds. It's not bad just from going from 32 to 64bit.

Perhaps, when we tested it we used my 74gig raptors in RAID 0 on an Intel platform and an AMD platform both gave different boot up results in total time but the XP32 and XP64 difference was 1-3 seconds.

Any improvement is good mind you, but I was not impressed with XP32 vs. XP64 in any sense. But Vista will be a different story with no legacy code from any previous OS models, built from the ground up they claim.

But I have seen Vista running in 64bit mode vs. 32bit mode with no clear OS operations differences, the only thing I noticed was 32bit games that actually ran on the OS performed poorly. That’s not saying performance will be somewhat on par with the 32bit build of the OS, but I am personally not expecting the 20% Linux gets. But Linux isn't something that can be compared to Windows either grossly different Kernels, API, and driver sets.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
I tested on 37GB raptors in RAID 0 with an A64 3500 @ 2.6ghz.

I haven't done a 32/64bit comparison with vista since its still beta and all but I'd imagine there would be a nice little improvement once its done.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

I haven't done a 32/64bit comparison with vista since its still beta and all but I'd imagine there would be a nice little improvement once its done.

Substantial improvements in speed are promised once RC1 is ready, at least thats the chatter on TechNet and MS forums.

I see a nice performance boost from moving to 64bit but that’s only because of the additional registers. The real improvements will come when software developers use 2gig's plus for a program footprint.

But sadly software developers haven't really pushed on 1gig let alone 2gig footprints, but that's also a blessing in disguise if that’s the correct usage of the phrase. Bloated code is what I worry about we are already seeing it in recent games.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Substantial improvements in speed are promised once RC1 is ready, at least thats the chatter on TechNet and MS forums.

I see a nice performance boost from moving to 64bit but that’s only because of the additional registers. The real improvements will come when software developers use 2gig's plus for a program footprint.

But sadly software developers haven't really pushed on 1gig let alone 2gig footprints, but that's also a blessing in disguise if that’s the correct usage of the phrase. Bloated code is what I worry about we are already seeing it in recent games.

Yeah but that's to be expected once they can turn off all the extra crap they have running and they do some performance optimisations.

I know what you mean, things will be much much worse once we start getting games ported from console to PC.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Dictionary.

Word.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Yeah but that's to be expected once they can turn off all the extra crap they have running and they do some performance optimisations.

I know what you mean, things will be much much worse once we start getting games ported from console to PC.

Word.

linux_0

Splendid

Word.

!Word

translation = not word