BenchMarks of Itanium on x86

G

.... Tweakers.net in Denmark has posted some benchmarks of a Merced iTanic 667Mhz on 32bit x86. The performance was terrible, about equal to a Pentium 75 ! They tested it against an old 486-50Mhz to give it a chance

G

i don't think the market that the itanic is intended for really cares about 32bit appz.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That doesn't make sense. 64bit software isn't going to be out and perfected for at least half a year after 64bit CPUs, so what are people supposed to do? Buy an Itanium and just let it collect dust until the right stuff comes out?

G

what do you think sparc and alpha servers run??? 16bit software? at over $2000 a processor i don't think the itanic is intended for home use.

G

"That doesn't make sense. 64bit software isn't going to be out and perfected for at least half a year after 64bit CPUs"

64bit cpu's have been out for a long time.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i think he means the UltraSPARCs use 64bit chips made by Sun? or somthing but they run UNIX, and were talking about 32bit WINDOWS apps, in which case Griz takes the cake on this one.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.
<font color=blue>Intel Inside</font color=blue> = Idiot Outside

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well why the crap is that guy talking about server stuff? We don't give a crap, we don't run servers. We're talking about <b>PCs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</b>

BTW, don't diss the Forum King.

G

exactly my point. if you're talking pc's why rail on the itanic. it's not designed as a pc? but as a server or workstaion? Why buy an ultraSPARC and run some windows emulator to play games on it and then tell everybody how bad it performed? it's pretty easy to criticize something for something it was never intended to do.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well i think taht intel and AMD are moving the entire pc market into 64 bit. so yes, it is an issue. and besides, amd's 64bit chip is kickin it and will be out early next year, while the itanium may not ever make it out from the looks of it now.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
maybe YOU are talking about 32bit windows! I think the majority here are a little more intelligent and know the Itanium is a 64bit processor that will be aimed at the highend servers/isp market, it will run best on 64bit software, which, btw...Sun, mips, alpha, and others are using right now. it has no place in these forums, whew!

- Amd helpdesk -

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
meltdown, have you read any other posts? the post was started about 32bit software benchmarks. i think were ALL talking about 32bit software.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, all I got to say is that if anyone believes a website that benchmarks a 64bit chip with 32bit software is clearly dumber than the website itself.

- Amd Helpdesk -

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That's what they said about the P4 but look where it is. I don't think there is a single server using P4 HAHAHAHA

Besides, the IBM PowerG4 chip and all that crap - THOSE are server chips, not Intel. You can frick up my opinions all you want and I won't give a damn. Im just telling you what I think.

And yes AMD Meltdown we were all talking about 32bit software (except for you he he).

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
re: "Well why the crap is that guy talking about server stuff? We don't give a crap, we don't run servers."

Just because you don't run a server doesn't mean others can't. Or are people not allowed to talk about such things here?

- JW

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Meltdown, do you think that when the 64 bit chips come out that all the existing software will magically be converted to 64bit also? It brings up a very good point to benchmark a 64bit chip with 32 bit software. Theoretically it should run 2 times faster, but in reality it seems to run 10 times slower.

G

back to an earlier point... why aren't you asking the same questions of ultraSPARC, mips and alpha chips? there's lots of 64bit software for them. this is the market intel is trying to enter with the itanium. they've already got a big piece of the pie of pc chips... they want to encroach on the high end server market with this chip; not add another desktop processor. also theoretically performance gains are only as good as the software that's written for it are. if the coders don't pass any info in the extra 32bits it ain't gonna do squat.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I realize that, thats why I stated it as theoretical. And yes, I realize that Intel and AMD are trying to take a bite out of the workstation/ server markets dominated by Sun, IBM and Apple. But you can't expect me to believe that Intel wont try to press 64 bit chips onto the masses. It is going to happen, the question is when.
Quite frankly, I think if Intel had known about Motorola's G4 (which uses 128 bit architecture) earlier, they would have planned to ramp from 32 to 128 and skip the 64 step, but seeing as thy have poored millions if not billions of dollars into R&D, they can't afford to pass the stage up.

mpjesse

Splendid
This is true- however if these benchmarks are true Intel REALLY wasted their time integrating a 32bit emulator on the Itanium. Also consider while they were using a 64 bit version of windows- all the programs were 32bit. This is obvious- however if it takes the same amount of time for software companies to migrate from 32bit to 64bit that it did for them to migrate from 16 to 32bit- intel is in a LOT of trouble. Why? Sledgehammer is coming out sometime at the end of the year or beginning. Which is when whistler is scheduled to be released. Catching my drift yet? Who's gonna want a 64bit cpu that can run 64bit code but runs 32bit code HORRIBLY? Especially when very few 64bit coded programs will be available. No one. This is why I think sledgehammer will be extremely successful. But, you probablu already figured all this out because your obviously an AMD fan =)

But my point was that they didn't waste their time testing it because 32bit performance with the Itanium will be every bit as important as 64 bit performance. At least in the first couple years.

-MP Jesse

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well i have Dual p2 400mhz 1mb xeon's. sharing 2dsl and 1 cable connection. Sharing 5 PC's i download at 10mb.

Cel 533 - 256mb sdram
15gb HD - ati radeon 32mb ddr (200/200)
SB live! mp3+ - win98 Beos