[SOLVED] Benchmarks off the charts/super low fps in game... sorry

Oct 11, 2021
Hello all,

I am new to the pc gamin scene and thus have problems solving my own issues. I have searched for days to figure out my issue with no success.

My build:
Ryzen 9 3950x
3080 ti
32 ram
x570
850w power supply

My problem is that when I run benchmarks the system operates great, but in game it is getting lower fps than many of my friends with half the system. I felt it was an issue but not too bad but recently the fps was so low that i could not ignore it.

I am getting really low gpu utilization, but a cpu bottle neck does not seem logical because it is a nice cpu. I ran stress tests on both gpu and cpu both scored very high. The only thing I have noticed is the edc being maxed out, but from reading this does not seem to be a major concern.

I have no heat issues, great airflow and temps stay in the 60's low 70's.

Any help would be appreciated, i know these questions are common, but I have looked at almost every thing on the net and the problems do not line up with what i am experiencing.

I appreciate any info and help. Hope you all have a great day.

Solution
Settings. Can make a world of difference. It's easy to say that a friend is getting higher fps with lower tier components, but that beggars the question of exactly what he is doing compared to you. Is DLSS enabled, are you running Ray Tracing ultra settings and his is low/disabled, are you running hair works or other after affects that they aren't, are you running a 4k DSR through GeForce Experience optimal settings (quality is default, not performance) and they aren't.

Fps isn't everything in game play, quality counts just as much, so as long as the game is playable at your settings, what others get isn't as important and very hard to judge against.

And that can show up easily in benchmarks as they don't run hair works or DSR and...
Oct 11, 2021
Hello rgd,

Thank you for the reply.
psu is a evga 80plus i can get the model
windows 10
asus tuf x570
yes on fresh install of the os twice
games from different places, steam, epic
also games from past and new ones alike.

i will have to look up ram usage during game, not sure how to monitor that.

Oct 11, 2021
Just some aggitional info people I game with with half the power are pulling more fps in all games. I also have nothing installed on this pc, it is exclusiy a gaming rig.

Also bought my son a few laptop with a ryzen 5 and 3050 ti that pulls more fps as well.

What would cause a pc to prefer so well on bench.ark tests buy ot translate to gaming?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing really stood out there. It's likely connected to one, or a combination, of the following:
-chipset and other relevant drivers
-3rd party software
-in game settings + NVCP settings
-Windows: If you carried over the C drive from another build, did you really clean install(format C drive and boot from pendrive), or was Windows simply reset?
-a cpu limitation is still possible in some titles. That gpu is just that strong at lower resolutions, and most games are bound by a single thread - one that handles every command from the game code.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Settings. Can make a world of difference. It's easy to say that a friend is getting higher fps with lower tier components, but that beggars the question of exactly what he is doing compared to you. Is DLSS enabled, are you running Ray Tracing ultra settings and his is low/disabled, are you running hair works or other after affects that they aren't, are you running a 4k DSR through GeForce Experience optimal settings (quality is default, not performance) and they aren't.

Fps isn't everything in game play, quality counts just as much, so as long as the game is playable at your settings, what others get isn't as important and very hard to judge against.

And that can show up easily in benchmarks as they don't run hair works or DSR and could care less about whether your monitor is 4k or 1080p, but the games most definitely will.

Solution