Question Benckmark rating lower with my new DDR4 compared to my old DDR3

Sep 16, 2019
Hello,

I changed parts of my computer, everything is working fine. But I went from 8 Go (2x4) of DDR3 1600 Mhz CL 9 to 16 Go (2x8) of DDR4 2666 Mhz CL 16. I made a Benchmark test for both and it gives a better score for the DDR3 than the DDR4 on this website: https://www.passmark.com/

My 8go DDR3 was rated at 2000 and my 16go DDR4 at 1800

Any idea why ?

DDR3: Corsair Dominator 8 Go (2x 4 Go) DDR3 1600 MHz CL9

DDR4: HyperX - HX426C16FB2K2/16 - FURY DDR4 16Go (Kit 2x8Go), 2666MHz CL16 DIMM XMP

I have not checked yet but someone told me I may need to configure XMP. My ram apparently supports "Intel XMP" but I have a Ryzen Proc so not sure it's possible ?

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ryzen processors usually run on DOCP, not XMP. But XMP is the go to term for RAM overclock (XMP is intel systems).
  • Because you have not overclocked the RAM, there is a likelihood that the RAM is not running to it's rated speed.
  • Your DDR3 has a CL of 9 whereas your DDR4 has a CL of 16, which also makes a difference.
  • Ryzen also scales better with faster RAM, as far as things go, 2666 RAM is quite slow for Ryzen systems, so it won't be utilising it's full potential.
What is the rest of your system spec?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Do you have latest drivers installed?
Are your RAM modules from the same pack?

Last edited:
Reactions: Roskouille
Sep 16, 2019
DDR3: Corsair Dominator 8 Go (2x 4 Go) DDR3 1600 MHz CL9

DDR4: HyperX - HX426C16FB2K2/16 - FURY DDR4 16Go (Kit 2x8Go), 2666MHz CL16 DIMM XMP

- What is the rest of your system spec?
previous proc: i5-3570k
new proc: Ryzen 5 2600

Previous motheboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
new motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B450M-DS3H

- Do you have latest BIOS installed?
I did not install BIOS driver

- Do you have latest drivers installed?
Windows is updated and GPU drivers are the latest

- Are your RAM modules from the same pack?
Ram is from the same packs

My previous RAM was not overclocked either

LoL, Ryzen memory latency numbers do look something like Core 2 from a dozen years ago, on DDR2--and that had a FSB with motherboard-mounted external memory controller! You should've seen how bad it used to look with older AGESA versions.

I would not say this is a problem because surely Ryzen performs better than any dual-channel DDR3 system regardless. Sure, the latency looks much worse than DDR4 on Intel, but the bottom line is it doesn't perform worse despite this.

d24hymdbbm331.png

Memory-Latency.jpg

You are getting the 83ns that AMD claimed in their slide I posted, so everything is working properly--Dman's timings are tighter so is 79ns instead, which is comparable to a Pentium 4 with DDR1:
latency.gif

There is no Ryzen configuration that can approach the 52.4ns of your old board, and some benchmarks just seem particularly offended by that.

Reactions: Roskouille