[SOLVED] benefits of ssd spacer? who needs it?

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Friends I just got to know that most ssd's don't come with a spacer while crucial mx 500 does.
So, is it really of any use?
In what case, one would need this thing?/
Online i read that some people had fitting issues and they had to do tweaks to fix this.
Will i need this for installing a ssd in the default socket (sata-3) of lenovo laptop?

Solution
It's just there in case the drive doesn't fit snug into the drive bay.

Most applications don't need it. Even Crucial admit in their manuals that most times you won't need it, it's there for a "just in case". Usually it's for laptop bays.

Some bays will leave a tiny bit of wiggle room of the SSD, so the spacer just eliminates this and keeps it more secure. Fit the SSD without it, if you feel like there is a bit of wiggle room and want it to be more snug, use the spacer.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's just there in case the drive doesn't fit snug into the drive bay.

Most applications don't need it. Even Crucial admit in their manuals that most times you won't need it, it's there for a "just in case". Usually it's for laptop bays.

Some bays will leave a tiny bit of wiggle room of the SSD, so the spacer just eliminates this and keeps it more secure. Fit the SSD without it, if you feel like there is a bit of wiggle room and want it to be more snug, use the spacer.

Solution