[SOLVED] BenQ 1920x1080p Single Link DVI-D and Single Link DVI-D questions

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
I had this monitor for several years now since err probably 2014
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014299

However, I have been using Dual link for some idiot reasons when I realize I was supposed to use single link DVD-I since my refresh rate is locked at 60hz and nothing higher. Is it true we're supposed to use Single Link DVI-D since it supports only 60hz and less? I was told dual links are for higher resolutions for 120hz and 1440hz. I didn't realize that and I FEEL like an IDIOT I had Dual link for years when I had no 120hz monitors. Did I mess things up or something? That might explain why my old 970 SSC blew up a long time ago I dunno. I STILL blame the tech guy for touching my card in the shop. I STOOD there and saw that but that's another story. Can anyone shed some light on Dual Link DVI-D and Single Link DVI-D?

Solution

There isn't anything to worry about. Whoever told you otherwise was wrong. Ask them for the source of their information.

Dual-Link cables have an extra set of wires for transmitting extra data if needed. If not needed, then they won't be used.

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
I find it odd for a response that there is nothing to worry about when I was told differently otherwise but I'll go ahead and post on another forum. This is lacking my area to get some questions answered but thanks though.

There isn't anything to worry about. Whoever told you otherwise was wrong. Ask them for the source of their information.

Dual-Link cables have an extra set of wires for transmitting extra data if needed. If not needed, then they won't be used.

Solution

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018

Okay I see.. but what is the difference between those two cables then? Does it affect performance differently or something? Should I be concerned or what? These are my specs..

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 4.4ghz stock volts.
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060-6GB SSC (Best Buy version)
SSD: Samsung 830 256GB
HDD: WD Black 1TB
HDD: Seagate FireCuda SSHD 1TB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C9 4x4GB
MBD: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77
PSU: EVGA 850 BQ
Case: NZXT H700i