BenQ FP241WZ vs. FP241W

Myrkul23

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I'm just about ready to order my new system, and the only thing I'm hesitant about is the monitor. I definitely want a 24" widescreen LCD, and I am going with BenQ over Dell. That being the case, does anyone know if the Black Frame Insertion (BFI) feature of the FP241WZ is actually worth getting? Thanks for the help.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

I'm about to buy one myself, but think that they are totally over priced (double the price of a 22", with only 2" more, WTF?). But yes, its the biggest, feasible screen for my gaming so I want it, lol.

What about the Acer 24" (code?). These are real cheap. Probably can get one for $450 from Pricegrabber. Did you take a look at those? I think I may get one. Let me know why/why not you would get one.

Sorry, dont know more about the BenQ. Outside my price range.

Easy. It's the LCD panel technology. Size also matters as well since the greater the number of pixels, the higher the percentage of screens that will have too many defects to be sold, the higher the price of the LCD panel will be to cover the loss.

All 22" LCD monitors use inexpensive 6-bit TN panels.

Up until just recently 24" LCD monitors used 8-bit panels of either the P-MVA. S-PVA or the more expensive S-IPS panels and their derivatives. There are now at least two 24" LCD monitors that uses the cheaper 6-bit TN panel technology; Acer and Samsung. I don't know the exact models, but they sell for less than $550.

See the following link for some info about different panel technologies.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/specs.htm

You might look at the Samsung 244T. I love mine, and it seems to be a bit cheaper. The specs look just like the Benq. I have heard that Samsung supplies the panels for many vendors, perhaps including Benq. On the matter of size, a 22" monitor will be 1680x1050. A 24" monitor will be 1920x1200. Even though the diagonal dimension is only 10% larger, there is 30% more screen area(1.76million vs. 2.30 million pixels). For the ultimate look at the New Samsung 30" monitor(2560x1600, 4.09 million).

Myrkul23

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I'm going for the 24" largely because of the 1920x1200 resolution. As for why I am going with the BenQ, there are a couple of reasons. I love how it has the multiple types of connections, and from many of the reviews I've read it seems to be one of the better 24" LCDs. I was all ready to take the plunge and buy it, but that's when I saw the "Z" version with the BFI. Even though it's more expensive, if it actually makes a significant difference I would consider buying it.

Yeah, I was considering the BenQ FP241WZ, but then I saw the 26" Planar PX2611w LCD monitor for about $200 more. It doesn't have as many connections as the BenQ, but I will only use as a PC monitor. My current monitor is the Planar PX191 and I like the quality of their monitors.

In addition to being a little larger, it uses a S-IPS panel which is superior to the P-MVA or A-MVA panels used by the BenQ FP241 series.