BenQ RL2460HT 24-Inch Monitor Review: Is Gaming Good At 60 Hz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eldragon0

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
Does it even matter when games automatically enable Vsync setting to 60 Hz?
No, but chances are if you're dropping 300+ on a monitor and genuinely want the extra frame rate you will be the type of person who is ready and expecting to tweak the game's files to run at those frame-rates.

eldragon0

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
Does it even matter when games automatically enable Vsync setting to 60 Hz?
No, but chances are if you're dropping 300+ on a monitor and genuinely want the extra frame rate you will be the type of person who is ready and expecting to tweak the game's files to run at those frame-rates.

Heironious

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Yes, it matters. After buying the ASUS VG248 with Lightboost enabled in 2D gaming, I can not go back to a 60hz monitor. Is it really that hard for you to disable Vsync in the games settings?

I think most mid-range gamers go 60Hz TN panel monitors that sell for $150 or less. This monitor seems pretty pricey and is stuck between those and the 144Hz monitors. I don't' think this will sell all that well.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
The ZR30W is 2560x1600, yet only 60 hz.

I achieve first place in multiple games when playing multiplayer, on a regular basis.
60hz is not the problem, the problem is your system if it CAN'T sustain 60 fps.

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
If your monitor supports 30hz, 60hz, or even 120hz, its nice to see the visual difference they make when compared side by side. I like to show other people this demo to compare FPS:
http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
When frame rate time periods start exceeding the fastest reaction times of humans, I start to question whether or not even faster frame rates are necessary.

I don't think competitive players win because they have 144Hz monitors and can react with all that information being fed to them. I think they win because they are proactive, and that there are many tells anyway to allow someone who's tuned in the game to react quickly.

I mean, StarCraft has choppy animation that is independent of refresh rates (they look like they move at 20FPS), but there's a lot of high level competition there.

heydan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Im still don´t know how people reach the 120-144 fps in any game even at 1080p, maybe they refer to fps higher than 60fps, like 70, 80, and maybe for some old games the 120-144 fps, or they play games with low settings in order to reach those fps?, can someone explain me?, because I can find any review about any high end GPU and found that there´s so little games that achieve 120-144 fps at 1080p with everything max out...

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Im still don´t know how people reach the 120-144 fps in any game even at 1080p, maybe they refer to fps higher than 60fps, like 70, 80, and maybe for some old games the 120-144 fps, or they play games with low settings in order to reach those fps?, can someone explain me?, because I can find any review about any high end GPU and found that there´s so little games that achieve 120-144 fps at 1080p with everything max out...

You do have a point with newer games that have very nice graphics. Such as, BF, Metro LL, and Arma 3 you need a beefy GPU set up or some people turn down the settings. (Eye candy is nice but if it is going to be a slideshow it isn't worth it) However, older titles such as CS GO where having the higher FPS will give you an edge doesn't take much to get 200+ FPS. Basically computers with at least an i5 and a 6970 or 580 can hit FPS 100+ on older titles. Newer titles i5/i7 (depends on the game if it take advantage of the hyper threading) 7970(280)/290x or 680/780. Crossfire or SLI helps but I personally find the gaming experience smoother playing CS GO on one 7970 instead of two in crossfire. With one I am still well over 100 FPS. When I play BF4 I have crossfire enable and high settings with some things turned down I get over 100FPS on DX11 API. When I try mantle (When it works....) I get an extra 10fps if I am lucky and feels smoother. You also can check Toms GPU charts of even their recently released SMB. I own Asus 144hz and never can go back to playing FPS on something less. I just wish they will catch up to my golden days with the CRTs refresh rates .

heydan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

@SessouXFX

Yes to a point. The 100 FPS ceiling or headroom gives you a 20-30 FPS buffer to account for high action scenes where your FPS might be pulled down to a noticeable level.

I can not tell any performance difference when hooking up my gaming PC to my 120Hz 27" LG big screen HDTV or to my 60Hz Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor. I believe that everyone has different tolerances in what they can and can not see with regards to refresh rates.

You should be able to see a resolution change rather easily.

Being able to tell 60 FPS from 80 FPS might not be so easy. Watching 100 FPS drop to below 60 FPS can be detected though, even if you don't "see" it, something becomes detectable in the game-play.

Damn_Rookie

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

This may be a silly question, and if it is I apologize, but are you sure your 27" LG HDTV is actually a 120Hz panel? I seem to recall LG being one of the manufacturers that have sold TVs with the description '120Hz' in the past, when all they were really referring to was a post processing trick to smooth out 60Hz feeds to get rid of motion blur, with the actual panel itself still being a 60Hz one.

I could of course be completely wrong, your panel is natively 120Hz, and you just don't see a difference between 60Hz and 120Hz (many people don't - like you say, everyone has different tolerances on what they can see when it comes to refresh rates); I just wanted to clarify and double check.

pezonator

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Articles like this really make me angry. 60Hz is 100% fine for gaming. Like someone else said, I also regularly place in the top 3 in BF4 and CS, refresh rate doesn't make a difference at all. The only place where it might matter is extreme competitive play for tournaments.

Peoples views are also different, I aim for 60fps at the highest possible detail, such as BF4 at ultra at 2560x1440 using a Dell 27inch U2713HM and AMD 290X, it usually manages 55 to 80 FPS. Once you go 1440p, you realise just how crap looking 1080p is. Cannot wait for 4K! The extra color like sRGB is also so much better than standard color. My advice to people is spend good money on a screen, it's worth it.

Oops actually it's a 47" HDTV, my Dell is the 27". And yes, it's native 120Hz. And I can't tell any difference when test gaming on my 600Hz 42" Samsung plasma either just for the record. The older and lower-level LG TVs simulate 120Hz for those models that advertised 120Hz.

eldragon0

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
Let's not start this shit again please. YES your eyes can see above 60 fps, above 120, and even above 144. Does it give you an advantage ? Probably not at the higher point, because eyes don't perceive fps they see motion. Many people when they sit side by side a 60hz and a 120hz running the same thing will pick which one's which almost every time. Myself being one of them. 120 to 144 is also noteable. When you are high tier gamer in twitch gaming lowering your quality for higher fps makes a huge difference, and being able to see someone 1+ whole frame earlier than the person you're fighting against will cause you to initiate movement faster than if you had to wait an extra frame, no matter how minute that difference is, it's an undeniable difference.

nemeth782

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014

Oops actually it's a 47" HDTV, my Dell is the 27". And yes, it's native 120Hz. And I can't tell any difference when test gaming on my 600Hz 42" Samsung plasma either just for the record. The older and lower-level LG TVs simulate 120Hz for those models that advertised 120Hz.

No TVs are true 120hz. They may have 120hz panels, but they only accept 60hz input, and then either make up interframes or insert blank frames etc. Your 600hz plasma definitely isn't able to be fed a 600hz input as there is no connectivity standard capable of transporting that amount of data (10x 1080p60???)

If you connect to your "120hz" TV, and look in the advanced monitor settings in Windows, you will notice that it is still outputting 60hz.

These TVs are amazing for video and blueray, which is what they are designed for. The Blueray only has 60fps on it, so to get more, you make up interframes, it looks good. Also, 24fps video now can run without 3:2 pulldown (as you display each frame 5 times.

They are not designed for PC input.

And an even more skilled player could care less if you have 1/60th of a second, at best, advantage. Knowledge of the game mechanics, environment and relative position all outclass a single frame advantage.

ralfie35

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
Let's not start this shit again please. YES your eyes can see above 60 fps, above 120, and even above 144. Does it give you an advantage ? Probably not at the higher point, because eyes don't perceive fps they see motion. Many people when they sit side by side a 60hz and a 120hz running the same thing will pick which one's which almost every time. Myself being one of them. 120 to 144 is also noteable. When you are high tier gamer in twitch gaming lowering your quality for higher fps makes a huge difference, and being able to see someone 1+ whole frame earlier than the person you're fighting against will cause you to initiate movement faster than if you had to wait an extra frame, no matter how minute that difference is, it's an undeniable difference.

on a scale of 1-10, how mad are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.