BenQ Unleashes XL2720Z Gaming Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
"Due to the 144 Hz refresh rate, the screen also has a gray-to-gray response time of just 1 ms." What does the refresh rate have to do with the gray to gray response time?

NotYetRated

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I own a different model of gaming monitor. Yes, it too is a TN panel. But I could not care less about extreme color accuracy when it comes to gaming.

The thing looks good, but most importantly, it performs great. I do not think we will be seeing any gaming monitors with such low response time and input lag on an IPS monitors. They inherently cannot hit such numbers at this time.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
A typical IPS display has a response time at 8 ms, that means it can just about refresh fast enough to display a 120Hz signal. If you would input a higher frequency signal the output will just become blurred. That is the connection between refresh rate and response time.

Lmah

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Waiting for 2560x1440 LED-IPS 120hz, getting tired of seeing these 1920x1080 TN panels. 1920x1080 is really getting old, I've already owned enough 1080 monitors and will not be buying another. I want higher pixel density.

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
While I love my 2560x1440 IPS panels, IPS panels aren't gaming panels period unless you're a casual gamer. 120Hz+ panels are not for casual gamers, they are competitive level gaming panels. BenQ and Asus choose TN panels for their gaming panels because they offer superior performance in response time and delay.

Furthermore, 120Hz+ at 2560x1440 requires massive GPU power and competitive gamers require the best FPS possible which at the current time defaults to 1920x1080 and 120Hz+.

If you're in here posting about wanting an IPS gaming panel with 120Hz+ and 2560x1440 you simply have no grasp on the technology or the applications of said technology for specific needs.

If you need the color quality of IPS and also need a competitive gaming monitor you need to buy a speedy TN panel and get second IPS panel for everything other than the competitive gaming.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
@xyriin - You wrote out, nearly verbatim, what I was thinking! I never think that anybody is wrong about wanting the latest and the greatest, but to think that ONLY because it's new and great, it should now become the standard is so amateurish.

Two points.

1) You aren't going to get an IPS panel that can do what you're begging for except for a very lot of money... and even then it'll be akin to the overclocked korean catleaps that used to be everywhere, that looked awful when put next to an actual 120Hz monitor.

2) You do realize that not all IPS panels are beautiful and not all TN panels are awful, right? If you haven't seen one of BenQ's high end TN panels, don't diss them. They can often have better color than lower-grade IPS panels, and have AMAZING blacks.

supermag24

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
They have IPS screens with a response time of 5 ms, which isn't too shabby and is probably just fast enough to game competitively. AOC, ASUS, LG, ACER and a couple oher companies all make monitors like this. Even though the downside is they run at 60 Hz. You cant have your cake and eat it too!!

stoogie

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
they only cheap out on the backlight, and use gloss screen instead DarkSable, the picture is identical to apples 27" displays

...wait, what?
I'm confused. You must not be talking about the BenQs, but rather cheap IPS panels?

They aren't all identical to apple's displays; Samsung OEM panels are going to vary from HP OEM panels, ect... and each manufacturer does have various qualities of screen produced.

Jonjolt

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
TN is better for gaming currently you are not going to find "gaming" and "IPS" in the same product, Yeah and those cheap IPS displays have manufacturing defects they are not the same.

I would add providing little to no input lag to the criteria list.

But yeah... Who are they listening to? As gamers, we've already had 120Hz 1080p TN monitors with great contrast that are responsive, but leave us wanting resolution and color. We've had 2560x1600 60Hz IPS monitors with great color, great viewing angles and so-so contrast, but give us less responsiveness, noticeable input lag and more noticeable tearing.

To which gamer(s) are they listening? Or are they going to just keep regurgitating ideas half a decade old while slapping a price tag on them?

cjbt

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
Those overclockable 1440p Korean LPS monitors are looking tempting. Seen some overclocked at 120hz

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
High refresh rate and high resolution is required for gaming. So no IPS panel. Only TN panel with 1440p @120hz is needed. TN panels are cheap too. It wont cost a leg and an arm.

Why no one makes TN panel higher than 1080p. Any technical reason?

I tried one of those. As soon as you put it next to a native 120hz monitor, the difference is astounding - doubly so if the native monitor has lightboost. Yes, an overclocked panel is 'better' than a 60hz panel, but it doesn't have that same 120hz 'feel.'

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

While 1440 IPS panels with an overclock do look great they still fall short compared to TN panels for competitive gaming. The fastest IPS panels have a g2g of 5ms. At 120Hz the panel spends 600ms switching frames and 400ms displaying the image. As a result there is more blurring than a TN panel capable of less than 5ms g2g because the TN panel spends more time displaying the image instead of rendering it on the panel. Due to the same rendering lag time, it should be obvious that the TN panel would provide for potential faster reaction time by a competitive gamer.

Now this isn't saying IPS is bad for gaming. In fact, it's an awesome option for a gamer who isn't at the pro or semi-pro level. But there is still a difference between IPS and TN for competitive gamers and if they want the best hardware they opt for TN panels every time without exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.