BenQ VZ2470H 24-inch AMVA Monitor Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Only 60hz, no dvi?, no displayport? Wouldnt even consider it.

Not to mention the ugly white, or the off center stand, that will make it more wobbly. And no vesa mount if you want to use your own stand.

Just EWW all around. And its not even budget at 209, way to high for 60hz.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
It's a real shame that manufacturers forgot about 120-200Hz on 1080p 21-25° panels. Gaming monitores doesn't need to be 27" 1440p to actually get those benefits.

Max_x2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
What's the difference between this and GW2470H? Is it just the design or is it more than that?

My bet is that the only difference is the design. If you're in the market for a great, cheap all-around monitor, I'd say buy the GW2470H. Had my GW2450 for about 3 years, and I'm still in love with it. The color accuracy is unmatched except maybe for monitors worth 4-5 times the price, and I also enjoy it for some casual gaming (racing simulators mostly in my case).

Here's a review of mine: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/benq_gw2450hm.htm . Anyway, what I can tell you is that this was my 1st BenQ monitor, but sure won't be the last. The quality is amazing.

Looks like another ( Mod edit: Keep it clean....)benq monitor that looks fine on paper but will be troubled with quickly degrading screens and wonky controls that were outdated a decade ago

*edit* anort3, I used no words that would not be acceptable in a PG rating. It was certainly far cleaner than some comments by others including mods!

Max_x2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
You do know that they own auoptronic, which supplies panels for a lot of displays, right? Also, their parts are in a lot of other companies monitors, beside the actual panel.

ozicom

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
I've been trying to upgrade my display to 4K and i'm sure most people will try to do this while 4K is not a dream anymore. Apple and Dell and i think some other manufacturers start to produce 5K and more and now we're looking at a FHD monitor. I know mainstream means low price but buying a FHD monitor with no added options looks dummy. So let's try to push brands and manufacturers to make better for less.

One thing I've noticed about PC monitors that claim to have an edge-to-edge zero-bezel display is that they have what is effectively an inner bezel of up to a quarter of an inch on at least the top and sides. You can see this black border even in the monitor image above.

On the other hand, I have an LG television with a panel that truly has an edge-to-edge zero bezel display. The picture extends right to the aluminum (or whatever composite) frame. The frame is maybe 1/16th" on this thing.

Why the difficulty to have a truly edge-to-edge display on a PC monitor and what constitutes a manufacturer listing this as a feature on the box when it doesn't really mean edge-to-edge? Why isn't this false advertising along with listed contrast levels that don't follow any standard of measurement from manufacturer to manufacturer?

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
For now im getting a 21° Dell Trinitron CRT.

1600x1200 85Hz master race with 0ms response times. 0ms input lag :)

My 19" Dell Trinitron CRT is one of my favorite displays, even 15 years after getting it. I just wish it wasn't greying out...

1600x1200@85Hz or 1024x768@120Hz

mosc

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
You can praise CRT contrast all you want but if you've had one and had to deal with trapezoidal and parallelogram distortion CHANGING AS IT HEATS AND COOLS you can't seriously want to go back. Yes, CRT's were better at some things. No, no sane person doing normal things would ever want one.

This article doesn't make me want to buy the benq 24", it makes me want to buy that 40" Philips!

thezooloomaster

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Only 60hz, no dvi?, no displayport? Wouldnt even consider it.

Not to mention the ugly white, or the off center stand, that will make it more wobbly. And no vesa mount if you want to use your own stand.

Just EWW all around. And its not even budget at 209, way to high for 60hz.

You don't need more than 60hz. Or do you plan on using this screen as a 3DTV or something retarded?
Also, take a good look: the stand is most certainly not off centre. Only the arm goes off to one side; not the same thing. The centre of gravity will remain low and in the middle.

Franklin1985

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
Awesome review as always. Just one question...it is possible for you to review those "new" 25 inch 2560x1440 monitors from Dell and Asus?

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
PPI would be hideous on such size and resolution though can be fixed by sitting a bit further away.

VA just useful for a dark room and content with dark scenes. 1000:1 just doesn't cut it for me. That Philips 40" 4K is still a goal for me.

Damn that monitor would be perfect for me if it was 27"... Please BenQ make a 27" version, pretty please!

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
PPI would be hideous on such size and resolution though can be fixed by sitting a bit further away.

VA just useful for a dark room and content with dark scenes. 1000:1 just doesn't cut it for me. That Philips 40" 4K is still a goal for me.

Indeed it is just a matter of distance. 1080p is perfectly fine on any display as long as you're at the right distance.

Also, VA panels aren't only useful for dark rooms at all... Contrast ratio always makes for a better image no matter the lighting condition, all else being equal. You say it yourself: "1000:1 just doesn't cut it for me".

scherzilla

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
I bought this monitor and i have flickering issues on dark pictures. Wasn t this supposed to be flickering free??? Also if i use hdmi cable all OSD functions go crazy and nothing works, if i change contrast or black level the temperature of the colors change!!
Also i noticed that on black screen the display is not uniform and the blacks are not deep at all! Sincerely i don t know what to do because it seems no reviewers are reliable and changing with another one could risky, i could get a worse one or equivalent.

scherzilla

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
I bought this monitor and i have flickering issues on dark pictures. Wasn t this supposed to be flickering free??? Also if i use hdmi cable all OSD functions go crazy and nothing works, if i change contrast or black level the temperature of the colors change!!
Also i noticed that on black screen the display is not uniform and the blacks are not deep at all! Sincerely i don t know what to do because it seems no reviewers are reliable and changing with another one could risky, i could get a worse one or equivalent.

scherzilla

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
Flickering solved upgrading video card drivers. But for some reason if i keep connected both the hdmi and vga cables i can not select the hdmi source it always point me automatically to vga... well if this monitor has better blacks than most other mid price suggested panels i sincerely fear to simply see what those monitors could look like... i had a Sony crt monitor that served his purpose since 1999 till 2 weeks ago, and definitely this monitor has no contrast compared to the worst of CRTs.

scherzilla

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
Also i have a sony bravia tv 40hx755 and i compared the black of that to this Beng monitor. The Bravia is a 2012 model but there is no comparisong between the two the bravia has such blacks that it looks like a CRT compared to this benq vz2470h. The Bravia contrast ratio was never specified by Sony but if this monitor is for real a 3000:1 then the Bravia must be at least 5000:1 if not 6000:1. i suspect anyway the 3000:1 declared contrast is a fake and you at Tom's Hardware are simply cheaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.