Question Benq Xl2430 cant get 144hz with a DVI-dual link cable

jakempskis

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
I recently got a xl2430 monitor from a friend that was moving out of the country. He showed me how to get it to 144hz, but he couldnt give me the display cxable for it as he was selling the rest of his setup to someone else. Now when use a Dvi-dual link cable i bought specifically for this monitor and change the display to 144hz from 60hz, it goes all pixelated and reverts. I do get a message that sayus incorrect cable, use the cable that comes with the monitor, However, it is my understanding that the cable wouldnt be unique to that monitor. I have updated my monitor and gpu drivers (1060 6gb for reference) and it still wont work. Does anyone know of a solution or what the problem might be? Thanks in advance.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If you're sure about the monitor and that it worked with his original cable; you were probably sold a fake dual link DVI cable.

There are fake ones that have the six pins in the middle that make it dual vs single link but there are actually no wire/cables inside the cable shield connecting the pins on the two ends of the cable.

You can actually use a multimeter if one is available to you, set it to resistance test mode and see if you get a continuity beep when you tap the pins in the middle. If no beep means there's no wire connecting the pins.

jakempskis

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
If you're sure about the monitor and that it worked with his original cable; you were probably sold a fake dual link DVI cable.

There are fake ones that have the six pins in the middle that make it dual vs single link but there are actually no wire/cables inside the cable shield connecting the pins on the two ends of the cable.

You can actually use a multimeter if one is available to you, set it to resistance test mode and see if you get a continuity beep when you tap the pins in the middle. If no beep means there's no wire connecting the pins.
I have a very basic one that I used to test, but as it doesnt have sound only the display I cant tell for sure but nothing was happening on the display. Does this mean it's fake?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I have a very basic one that I used to test, but as it doesnt have sound only the display I cant tell for sure but nothing was happening on the display. Does this mean it's fake?

If it's a fake one it usually acts up with higher resolutions or refresh rates, especially at higher resolutions.

A working single link DVI cable is OK for 1920 × 1200 at 60 Hz. When you go higher problems start. That is a full HD (1920x1080) resolution monitor. The website here recommends DVI-DL or DP for "max. resolution".

As mentioned above you can use the DisplayPort; again get a good cable. I think a 1060 has DP. Check the manufacturer's website. What make model is the 1060?

Also HDMI; I think GTX 1060s have HDMI 2.0 so with a good quality cable you can get 144Hz at that resolution (1080p) and I think even 240Hz too on displays that support that refresh rate. I'm not sure about the HDMI version on the monitor though; if it's HDMI 1.3–1.4b or higher it can support 144Hz; if lower it supports up to 60Hz at that resolution.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Just as a note, HDMI device capabilities are not guaranteed by having a certain "version number"; see section 5 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/

Yes, thanks for mentioning that.

I actually forgot to say "check with the card and display manufacturer's website/manual or check online to see if its HDMI actually does what it's supposed to do and people are using it for that refresh rate at that resolution".

HDMI has kind of become the de facto standard for HD displays and TVs, or at least it was before DP, but there's no guarantee.

jakempskis

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
If it's a fake one it usually acts up with higher resolutions or refresh rates, especially at higher resolutions.

A working single link DVI cable is OK for 1920 × 1200 at 60 Hz. When you go higher problems start. That is a full HD (1920x1080) resolution monitor. The website here recommends DVI-DL or DP for "max. resolution".

As mentioned above you can use the DisplayPort; again get a good cable. I think a 1060 has DP. Check the manufacturer's website. What make model is the 1060?

Also HDMI; I think GTX 1060s have HDMI 2.0 so with a good quality cable you can get 144Hz at that resolution (1080p) and I think even 240Hz too on displays that support that refresh rate. I'm not sure about the HDMI version on the monitor though; if it's HDMI 1.3–1.4b or higher it can support 144Hz; if lower it supports up to 60Hz at that resolution.

I have this one https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jW...cv1-video-card-geforce-gtx-1060-armor-6g-ocv1
I have a new cable on the way from amazon that is amazons choice or whatever, so hopefully this one works. The one I have now was from bestbuys marketplace, with no reviews or anything but I really didnt think it mattered since I had no idea people would fake the cables.

TRENDING THREADS