BenQ XL2430T 24-Inch 144Hz Gaming Monitor Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

test090927

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
Don't be interrupted by want type of panel it is.
TN and IPS both have there own advantage. TN for low response time and relatively high refresh rate, whereas IPS has better color reproduction and viewing angle. However, IPS panel generally has long response time, which might cause ghosting when gaming.

For XL2430T TN panel which might seem bad color reproduction, the color is actually fine and it can be adjusted by "Color Vibrance" mode. It's a great choice for you.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Wow. Some people don't bother to read the article. The reviewer clearly states that the ONLY difference between this TN panel and an IPS panel is viewing angle. How is this a problem unless you're using more than 1 monitor? How many people sit and game when they don't have their monitor right in front of them? EVERYTHING ELSE about this monitor as far as performance is concerned completely out-classes IPS panels. Stop complaining, read the full article and unless you have anything constructive to say, rather don't say anything at all. Commenting that you're waiting for an IPS panel or wouldn't ever go back to a TN panel is rather useless. As for me, I think the price is very reasonable for this monitor, given its excellent review on everything that matters to a gamer.

chenw

Honorable
I stopped reading at 'IPS', not even worth my time.

Seriously, after comparing the VX2770 and swift (which is a classic IPS to TN), I wasn't even sure what IPS was all about, the IPS had much worse BLB and didn't look that much greater (granted, it was probably a bad IPS panel).

You are also getting the blur reduction strobe backlight. IMO something I am VERY happy to see on more screens. G-sync screens can do it as well as lightboost screens as well.

That feature alone makes me want to get one of these types of screens. Motion blur has bugged me since flat panels came to market.

I do not think anything has that new standard yet(it will be DisplayPort only just like G-sync).
The last few BenQ screens with this blur reduction feature have required quite a bit more work to firmware flash(custom device or a cable or some luck with VGA and Linux). It is not quite like flashing a DVD/BD drive.

I do not see the obsession with IPS for gaming. the pixel response is not as good and the contrast is not any better. VA has IMO the best looking image(but with a very slight contrast shift), but is even slower than most ips screens.

I had an IPS for gaming for a short time and while it was faster than my VA panel it also had so much glow(not a problem with old screens. cost cutting measure and all) that it killed dark games. To add to it, this the particular monitor had very poor dark color reproduction.

This is not to say I do not believe that TN has some bad viewing angles and thus in larger screens is much less desirable, they have improved allot over the years and are still the fastest thing you can get.

Also remember BenQ has some other 24ich blur reduction screens without all the extra features and inputs for less. Just make sure you get one with the V2 firmware because V2 has issues with the blur reduction feature.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
what's the difference between this and let's say last years xl2420z or xl2411z which can be found for more than $100 less with basically the same features?

Mind you in the beginnign of the article, it states that this is the tinier version of the xl2720z; i'd like to correct that statement by saying that the xl2420z is the smaller version, as they were all announced towards the end of 2013 and released in 2014.

AJSB

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
BenQ will have a 2560x1440 144Hz 27" Adaptive Sync (FreeSync if you will) monitor...that is the one i'm focusing...but i'm also curious about the ViewSonic 24" 1080p 144Hz Adaptive Sync...no GSync monitors for me.

DecafTable

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Looks to be a great monitor, but it would be foolish to purchase this with Free Sync capable monitors already showcased at CES!

floppyedonkey

Honorable
Nov 18, 2014
garbage TN panel, no one wants these. Most of tech that has a screen nowadays doesn't got TN. If reporting on new models that sport old technology stopped then a clear signal would be sent to these companies.

Mike Coberly

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I bought a 1080p, 144Hz panel over a year ago for $250...why would I want this?
Acer GN246HL for those who are curious, I'd like to get another but I'm not sure about availability.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
4k 39 inch SE39UY04-1 for $330 at tiger direct sorry I'll take that instead. It doesn't have 60Hz 4K, but with DVI you should be able to do 1440x3440 @60HZ. I'm sorry, but resolution trumps refresh rate beyond 60HZ for me at least.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
Looks to be a great monitor, but it would be foolish to purchase this with Free Sync capable monitors already showcased at CES!

if free sync costs no more than normal monitors, there is no reason to not wait
if your monitor right now breaks, do everything to can to hold out on a better one soon, even if that means getting a 25$ good will for a stop gap,
for me personally, free sync isn't a big deal, ill get it if its available, but i would never pay more for it.
tearing is a major issue for me, though i do v sync games when they are running over 60fps just so my crap can run a bit cooler.
the whole "you wont notice games preforming slower... that has to be seen to be believed because i just don't believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.