Question Benq xl2720 No Signal Detected when first booting up ... is it my monitor or my PC?

Jan 26, 2021
Hi,

I keep getting a no signal detected (DP) initial boot up on my Benq XL2720. I usually can get a display after fighting with it in the following ways:

-Unplugging and replugging the display port cable (doesn't really work anymore)
-Rebooting the computer manually or unplugging it (works sometimes)
-Changing which port I plug the DP cable into my graphics card (this worked today after a few tries).

This is getting a lot more difficult to manage as my usual workaround of just unplugging and plugging the cable back in has gotten less and less effective. I have tried swapping out the cables and have the same result.

My CPU is a 4790K which runs at stock clock 4.0ghz settings as I have been getting boot failures when I try to OC after an incident below:

Ram is 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3,

Motherboard is a Gigabyte Z97X - Gaming 5

The GPU is a replacement RTX 2080, the original which I RMA'd after my PSU backfired into it and caused a lot of smoke / destroyed the PSU and the GPU , I've noticed that I can't overclock my CPU anymore without getting boot failures eventually.

At first, I thought these boot failures (black screen on startup) were actually the signal display problem until after resetting my PC manually enough times I got the message that I had experienced boot failure and the system automatically reset my clock speeds to factory.

I had fewer problems after that but now the "no signal detected" issue is recurring again. I should not that I do hear the windows start up sound coming out of my speakers whenever I reset it, even if I still get this "no signal detected" black screen.

I am just trying to figure out what I need to replace (if anything) as money is a little tight this year.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks a lot

Jan 26, 2021
I should note as well that this problem seems, weirdly, to only become an issue when I first boot my computer up after coming home from work. Once I get it working, I can restart or shut down and turn it back on right after and it seems to be okay...odd I know.