Benq XL2720Z continually reverts to default

Submarine

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Brand new Benq XL2720Z from SCAN (UK). DVI-D to GTX770, latest nVidia drivers, Win7 Ult x64.

Every day I switch it on and every day it forgets the settings I saved from the last time I used it.

I am using it on Eco setting and I played about with the OSD and the Display Pilot (DP) latest version from Benq's site to get it the way I want it and saved all as a new default profile after running the gamma wizard in DP; and in the OSD the only way to save is to a profile Gamer1-3, so I saved to Gamer1 and leave it on that.

I like to set it to Eco as the other settings are too bright, but about once a day it reverts to the first of the game specific profiles (eg COD3) instead of sticking with Eco mode and the OSD completely forgets the selections I made for the front panel. It does not even need to power down to forget, today it just went into standby for an hour or so and everything in the OSD was forgotten.

Is there something I need to do to get it to remember user set defaults or is this something I have to adjust by hand at the start of every day as long as I use this monitor :(

I tried setting nVidia control panel to control the display brightness contrast and gamma but when the OSD changes back to default it overrides the nVidia CP settings completely.

Is it broken?

Submarine

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
We've noticed that the thread you've posted on Tom's Hardware hasn't received any responses. Perhaps it's not clear or explicit enough, how about taking a look at it to see if you can make it better?

So I got this email reminder from Toms rubbing salt in the wound about how my question didnt get any responses. It is still a problem and I am still trying to work out what to do about it. Also I dont really see how the question could be any clearer and I dont know why noone has answered.

I would be grateful for any info such as " I have one of these and it remembers settings just fine " or conversely " I have one and it does the same ... its normal ".

I understand this is a popular monitor and thought Toms would be a good place to find people with one but maybe its not that common, it would help to get some kind of understanding of what is wrong with this monitor before I go bothering SCAN CS and packing it up for RMA, so if anyone has any kind of comment including better places to get help I would be glad to hear them.

Submarine

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK I was in touch with SCAN CS and was told by a guy who also owns a Benq that he has the same kind of problem with the OSD forgetting settings and refusing to adopt new ones. He suggested using the reset to default and trying again, which I did but the moment you power it down and up again it forgets. The implication was that RMA would lead to a replacement with the same fault.

This suggests Benq OSD is not working correctly out of the factory. If there is no fix and its a ubiquitous phenomenon then its a manufacturing fault.

Submarine

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK FYI anyone else finding this, I finally found a fix to this which was *facepalm* install the drivers from the driver DVD which came with the monitor. I had missed them in all the kerfuffle and assumed that when windows 7 detected the monitor and installed drivers it had got the relevant files but it hadnt. Which was apparent once I (read the manual carefully and) consulted "control panel > devices and printers" and saw that it was listed as a generic PnP monitor and once I went through properties and updated the driver to the appropriate one on the disc the monitor was correctly named as "BenQ XL2720Z (Digital)" and now it also remembers its OSD settings.

This is unexpected but true, not sure what happens if I try to safe boot or dual boot to a driverless Windows but will find out when it happens as I have a dual boot system with a back up drive with Windows 7 but no drivers.