Question Bent a pin on motherboard but fixed it - is that causing my issues?

matharoo

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
A few weeks back I removed a power connector from the motherboard (that went right next to the CPU). When I tried to push it back in, it wouldn't go in, and I accidentally bent a pin, on the motherboard.

Using a flat screwdriver I put the pin back in place, and the PC worked, and is still working. But once or twice every day it shuts down without any errors or BSODs.

I was thinking of replacing the PSU as I've tested both of my RAM sticks which don't seem to have any issues. Then I remembered my fuck up, when I bent the pin.

How likely is it that the bent pin (that I fixed) could be causing these issues that I'm having with PC restarts? I didn't have the issue before that happened. But it did start happening like a week after the incident.

taeioum

Upstanding
Jan 27, 2019
Can we at first make clear what exact connector you mean on your motherboard? It would be nice to get a picture of your own motherboard showing the connector.

matharoo

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
Can we at first make clear what exact connector you mean on your motherboard? It would be nice to get a picture of your own motherboard showing the connector.
Sorry I just checked with someone more knowledgeable than me, and turns out it's a port for the USB slots on the front of the case.

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Sorry I just checked with someone more knowledgeable than me, and turns out it's a port for the USB slots on the front of the case.
Then it's probably not this, apart if it was causing short circuits (unlikely). Youmay have damaged something else on your motherboard, but I suspect your PSU - a damaged motherboard would be unstable all the time.