Question Bent and dented capasitor but doesnt look too bad. what should I do?

BoB_The_PC_Builder

Reputable
Jul 14, 2020
Was trying to put IO shield in after everything was installed so just unscrewed the motherboard and slid it a bit over but when was trying to get the IO shield in with a screw driver slipped and hit a capacitor and dented it and it bent over i bent it back and it wasn't leakinging or punctured. I turned on the pc and it still booted but turned it off right away worrieing somthing could go wrong should i get it replaced or leave it and watch it for a while?

280522746_5549718051726952_6165054532503719984_n.jpg
280651398_5549718028393621_2069027295162247745_n.jpg

Was trying to put IO shield in after everything was installed so just unscrewed the motherboard and slid it a bit over but when was trying to get the IO shield in with a screw driver slipped and hit a capacitor and dented it and it bent over i bent it back and it wasn't leakinging or punctured. I turned on the pc and it still booted but turned it off right away worrieing somthing could go wrong should i get it replaced or leave it and watch it for a while?

280522746_5549718051726952_6165054532503719984_n.jpg
280651398_5549718028393621_2069027295162247745_n.jpg
"It's dead Jim" missing one leg/lead.

I'm not really so sure it's missing one lead: it looks to me like it's hidden by a shadow from the bent-up edge of the capacitor.

But the cap is certainly, and seriously, damaged though. It's probably still working but with that kind of damage around the end cap seal it's safe to say it's days are numbered. When it leaks out it might fail-to-open in which case the audio circuit it's close to may simply stop working well on one channel. But it might fail-to-short which is the worst case if it's sitting across +12V as that would probably damage if not destroy your motherboard.

In summary, it's probably safest to take it to a good tech and have it replaced. Not too hard once the motherboard's back side is accessible which means removing it from the case. Short of that, remove the cap completely to avoid any possibility of shorting out +12V. Loss of on-board audio isn't such a big deal with a cheap add-in sound card, or even simply using USB headphones and mic.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoB_The_PC_Builder

BoB_The_PC_Builder

Reputable
Jul 14, 2020
I'm not really so sure it's missing one lead: it looks to me like it's hidden by a shadow from the bent-up edge of the capacitor.

But the cap is certainly, and seriously, damaged though. It's probably still working but with that kind of damage around the end cap seal it's safe to say it's days are numbered. When it leaks out it might fail-to-open in which case the audio circuit it's close to may simply stop working well on one channel. But it might fail-to-short which is the worst case if it's sitting across +12V as that would probably damage if not destroy your motherboard.

In summary, it's probably safest to take it to a good tech and have it replaced. Not too hard once the motherboard's back side is accessible which means removing it from the case. Short of that, remove the cap completely to avoid any possibility of shorting out +12V. Loss of on-board audio isn't such a big deal with a cheap add-in sound card, or even simply using USB headphones and mic.
Yes the leg is just hidden by shadow. True guess better safe than sorry to just get it replaced. Thanks for the advice.