Bent cpu pins

DaBrain

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
Ok so i just bought an i7 7700k.
I was about to install it when i bent one of the cpu pins on the motherboard. I placed the cpu in the cpu spot and turned the computer on. It started but no image appeard on my screen. After 30 seconds the system shut itself down.
I have a 550w psu. Is the PSU or the bent cpu pins my issue?

Please help!

Solution

That Cooler Master is not best thing around, but if it is operational, it should have enough power to run your machine. If you had no start-up at all, it could be PSU fault, but since it starts and runs, bad BIOS version is far more probable cause.

DaBrain

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

I have a GTX 1060
16gb ddr4 ram
1tb hdd
2tb hdd
Intel i7 7700k
1 samsung 24 monitor
(Im gonna add one more monitor AOC 24)

toshibitsu

Distinguished
If you don't have good enough vision, you'll want to use a magnifying glass of some sort. You'll also need a flash light and a small flat head screwdriver/tweezers(or similar). You need to make sure that pin is not damaged and is re-positioned correctly. Otherwise, most/all retailers won't take back a motherboard if there's pin damage.

Ok, first thing: 7700k does not have stock cooler. If you used cooler from other CPU, know that it most likely will not be enough.
But more important is: your CPU is 7th gen, while motherboard is 6th gen. If the board does not have BIOS updated, it will not work with this CPU. Check the sticker on the motherboard (it probably will be in top right corner) - last 4 digits show what BIOS version is installed (usually). If the number is below 3016, you need to update BIOS first, using 6th gen CPU.

DaBrain

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
I already bought a new motherboard. I have an extra cpu i3 6100.

So you don't think my power supply is the reason for the computer not starting?

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
I think the B150 needs a bios update for the kabylake cpu. Use the skylake 6100 to update it first. And the B150 will not be able to overclock the K chip. Need a Z board to do that. The 7700K should run at stock speeds after the bios is flashed. That is if the bent pin isn't one of the critical ones. Some are redundant duplications. And as long as a VSS isn't touching a VCC for a dead short.

That Cooler Master is not best thing around, but if it is operational, it should have enough power to run your machine. If you had no start-up at all, it could be PSU fault, but since it starts and runs, bad BIOS version is far more probable cause.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS