Question Bent cpu pins

Dominik_Addo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
When trying to replace the thermal paste on my cpu I accidentally bent some of the pins (cpu came out stuck to the heatsink not sure how the pins bent) since then I straightened them not perfectly but the system managed to boot into windows 10. As soon as I started any game or left the pc on for over 5 min the pc would bsod giving errors such as memory management and others that I don't remember. I read a little bit online and people said that the cpu migtve corrupted some files so I tried to format the pc but I would get 0x8007025d error when trying to fresh install windows now I bought a new cpu and waiting for it to come but I'm not sure if any other components got damaged due to the Cpu. So my question is could any other components been damaged or replacing the cpu should resolve the issue
ryzen 7 1700 with msi x370 gaming pro carbon
Thanks in advance

Dominik_Addo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
Maybe one (or more) of the pins did more than bend. May have broke off. Check to be sure there's not a broken pin still in one of the sockets. If clear, check that one isn't missing from the CPU.
There is a pin missing from the cpu not sure if it's in the motherboard or not I flipped the pc sideways but don't think anything came out

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If it is in the socket, it may be down deep enough you'd need a light to see it.
As to the missing pin on the CPU itself, depending on its function it could be totally redundant (like a ground) or it could be vital. There really is no way of knowing since AMD keeps that kind of detail proprietary.

Are you sure the pin is actually missing? Is there a base for that missing pin, or are you just looking at a blank spot on the CPU?

Dominik_Addo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
If it is in the socket, it may be down deep enough you'd need a light to see it.
As to the missing pin on the CPI itself, depending on its function it could be totally redundant (like a ground) or it could be vital. There really is no way of knowing since AMD keeps that kind of detail proprietary.

Are you sure the pin is actually missing? Is there a base for that missing pin, or are you just looking at a blank spot on the CPU?
As to the missing pin on the CPI itself, depending on its function it could be totally redundant (like a ground) or it could be vital. There really is no way of knowing since AMD keeps that kind of detail proprietary.

View: https://imgur.com/a/v7bW702

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, that happens sometimes. Unlike Intel CPUs that are "clamped" in with the hinged door that keeps the CPU from leaving the socket, AMD still uses the open socket design. Even with the lock lever down, they tend to come out sometimes if the TIM has stuck to the CPU's heat shield.
Always give the cooler a slight twist back and forth laterally to try to break the seal that forms. Then 'slide' the cooler back and forth a bit on the CPU before you lift it off. That always works for me. Even if you end up with the CPU coming out with the cooler, it normally isn't fatal if you lift it straight up.

I suspect you brought the cooler off on a slight angle and snapped the pin.

Dominik_Addo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
Yeah, that happens sometimes. Unlike Intel CPUs that are "clamped" in with the hinged door that keeps the CPU from leaving the socket, AMD still uses the open socket design. Even with the lock lever down, they tend to come ou0x8007025dt sometimes if the TIM has stuck to the CPU's heat shield.
Always give the cooler a slight twist back and forth laterally to try to break the seal that forms. Then 'slide' the cooler back and forth a bit on the CPU before you lift it off. That always works for me. Even if you end up with the CPU coming out with the cooler, it normally isn't fatal if you lift it straight up.

I suspect you brought the cooler off on a slight angle and snapped the pin.
I just got a new cpu and I'm getting an error when trying to install windows 0x8007025d I'd appreciate any help

Dominik_Addo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
Recently my heatsink came out with the cpu at the same time and bent some pins I tried to straighten them but I was getting 0x8007025d when trying to install windows since I bent the cpu I assumed that was the issue so replaced it and I'm still getting the same error please help

Dominik_Addo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
stick with 1 thread
Recently my heatsink came out with the cpu at the same time and bent some pins I tried to straighten them but I was getting 0x8007025d when trying to install windows since I bent the cpu I assumed that was the issue so replaced it and I'm still getting the same error please help

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That broken/missing pin from the first CPU isn't laying on the board somewhere and shorting out some solder traces, is it? I doubt it is still on the socket hole, if the new CPU fell right in without having to force it.

That error pertains to several possible issues. You can Google it for more info. Are you trying to do a clean install from a USB drive or optical drive? If the former, try the latter.

Dec 9, 2018
If you can still find the broken pin,You might still be able to save the CPU..I've had my Ryzen 5 1500X pin broke off before and I still have the broken pin with me. So i put the broken pin into the cpu socket in the hole where it should be and then place my R5 after that and it actually boots..No performance impact.

Dominik_Addo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
Bought a new cpu and motherboard was still having problems with the installation of windows however after changing some settings in the bios don't rememember which the os installed and the computer worked fine. I wanted to overclock the cpu however had a problem and had to reset bios. Now my PC is having problems again and games are crashing I don't know what the problem is anymore someone help