Bent CPU socket pins?!

WTHaPenguin

Reputable
Jul 18, 2014
Hey guys, I just finished my first build about a month ago. The computer worked fine, with one exception. It would only run on one stick of ram. After running some diagnostics, I realized that my motherboard had some bent CPU socket pins.

My question is: would 2-3 bent pins be able to cause a problem like the one I have?

I have managed to carefully bend the pins back, and I must say, I think I did a pretty good job because none of them look bent out of place, more like just a teenie bit misaligned. I can assure you, they were worse off when I removed the CPU (from the functioning computer) and found them.
Take a look: http://imgur.com/QXxW4Ql
http://imgur.com/PJCPowt
http://imgur.com/xbW7MUj
http://imgur.com/8TtxIrw

Now that I have somewhat bent the pins in order will my computer still run a) like in its old state or b) flawlessly? Or will it just not post?

To reiterate, my second question is: will fixing the bent CPU pins on a mobo (that was functional) improve it's functional capabilities (like letting me use more than one ram slot?)

Thanks guys! Please let me know what you think :|

Tealwood

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
Same thing with ME! After a week of trying to utilize both sticks of RAM, I finally pulled the CPU and found bent pins in the corner. Tried to fix them but now it won't boot up. No HDMI so no display. Only fans running and the dreaded red CPU light.

I'm bummed, was my first build and everything was great except getting all my memory accessed, now this.

dish_moose said to RMA the board. You mean the motherboard? Isn't this a CPU problem??? It's the pins on the CPU that were bent ... was thinking that should be replaced. Did the motherboard cause the CPU pins to bend? If I get a new CPU, is this motherboard going to bend pins on the new CPU?

My system info isn't showing up.

Asus Sabertooth 990 FX
AMD FX-8350 Black CPU
Western Digital 2 TB SATA III Black, WD2003FZEX
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 (Windforce) -3GD Rev:2.0
Rosew​ill CAPS​TONE Seri​es CAPS​TONE-​750
G.SKILL Sniper Series F3-1866C9D-16GSR

Tealwood

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

Well, that's what I did ... used tweezers to straighten them. It was only 2 in one corner. Must not have gotten them good enough as it still wouldn't boot. I've tried everything suggested except resetting the jumpers, even reset the CPU a second time. Pins looked OK that time but no boot. I'll reset the jumpers tomorrow since it's 3:30 AM now, but I'm not hopeful.

Advice please. And, is it the processor that I should RMA? What about the motherboard???

Tealwood

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
I'm probably confused here. The motherboard looks fine to me (but I'm a novice at this). It's the CPU that is damaged with bent pins. I need a new processor. Did the motherboard cause the bent pins on the CPU? Or why would I RMA the board?

Both are new, this is a new build, could probably get replacements from Amazon (or NewEgg, can't remember which now). Pins on the CPU look pretty good except the couple pins in the corner that I straightened ... not perfect.

Tealwood

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

Now I understand! Sorry, I didn't realize that some motherboards had the pins on the board, not on the CPU. Thanks.

Tealwood

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

Thanks ... I'm shipping this processor back to Amazon and they're shipping me a new one to arrive tomorrow ... no charge for anything. Amazon is really good about these things. I'm just so glad I only have to replace the CPU, not the motherboard!

Tealwood

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

I've installed the new CPU and I'm up and running with all 16 GB of RAM, running at 1866, dual channel! Happy camper! I'm running 6 hours of Memtest86 right now, on Pass 3, with no errors.

But, I do have a question, resulting from some of my research. The default in Memtest is to run the test with "Single CPU". I'm fine there. But, when I tried setting it at the Round Robin setting, it would run 16 seconds, then freeze up. My question is, it Memtest running in Single CPU an adequate test of the RAM? As long as the test runs through 4 passes? I can't find the answer to this anywhere. Should I post a new thread?

WTHaPenguin

Reputable
Jul 18, 2014

yes

Tealwood

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014