Bent Mobo CPU Socket Pins and still worked?

xephos

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
So this is also based off my issue here, I decided to check on my cpu and see if anything was wrong with it. I checked the cpu, it was fine. The socket, however, looked like the pins bent gently towards one side in a circular motion. I'm pretty sure this happened due to time and not suddenly as my computer still ran nicely after installing a water cooler. However, after installing it, my comp would blink red LEDs on several components before actually starting up.

What really then caused it to die was right after when I swapped the GPU and my Elgato locations on the PCI on my mobo and it ran for the last time... until the day after I tried to start it up, it would stay solid on other components and now stays red on the boot device LEDd.

Is it okay for my mobo to have bent pins or should I think about upgrading soon?

Solution
Bent pins on your mobo is a fixable thing but super risky and I wouldn't recommend trying it if you don't know what you're doing. If the issue is that severe, your mobo could be toast. If it's not too expensive for you, it may be worth looking into a replacement board or pushing your upgrade plans ahead of schedule.

What board is it? What CPU are you using? If it's an LGA (Intel based) board, they're supposed to be bent slightly as the make contact with the chip itself; however, if it's a PGA (AMD based), the pins would be on your CPU itself and not on the socket. Broken pins on an AMD CPU is death, but slightly bent pins can be repositioned.
Bent pins on your mobo is a fixable thing but super risky and I wouldn't recommend trying it if you don't know what you're doing. If the issue is that severe, your mobo could be toast. If it's not too expensive for you, it may be worth looking into a replacement board or pushing your upgrade plans ahead of schedule.

What board is it? What CPU are you using? If it's an LGA (Intel based) board, they're supposed to be bent slightly as the make contact with the chip itself; however, if it's a PGA (AMD based), the pins would be on your CPU itself and not on the socket. Broken pins on an AMD CPU is death, but slightly bent pins can be repositioned.

Solution

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the bent pins, well, shouldn't be bent

it means that cpu is not connecting correctly to those pins and comunication is partial so you are loosing something thanks to that, most times mainboard will not do anything

i would say that if you bent the pins, because they don't bent by themselves alone, unless it came like that form the factory, you need a new mainboard

the manufacturer doesn't respond for this kind of damage, so buy another mainboard is what you need to do now

unless you can fix the bent pins, something that sometimes is doable, but most times is not

xephos

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

Gonna answer this as the best cause you're right. The pins were in the mobo socket and I just didn't look hard enough that they were designed for the cpu to rest on the purposely bent pins.

So it's an LGA (Intel). Yes, they're supposed to be bent... to a point. If something is excessively bent and thus not making contact with the CPU, that would definitely be a problem.

Seeing that you've just swapped GPUs, have you checked for a BIOS update for your mobo? I just went from a 660Ti to a 1080 and my AMD 990FX required an update since it wouldn't even see the new card.

xephos

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
They all looked bent equally so I assume they're supposed to be like that.

And no, I haven't changed gpus. I changed a water cooler before this happened. And is it possible to access bios while in this situation? I'm not getting any response on my screen to even access the bios.

xephos

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

I figured that was the case. Anyways, thanks for the help!

Faike

Notable
Mar 27, 2017

I have fixed pins before but yes it's really risky and you can break you CPU. I would just replace the board. I've had broken pins on an AMD but I was able to straighten them out with a very thin screw driver from my computer screw driver kit a few times. I've even had an AMD work with a pin that fell out O_O. You have to be really careful and have a steady hand and the right tools.