Bent Pin on CPU Zif Scket - Need Your Opinion

Xeal

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Hi guys,

Bought Asus P5B-E Plus board, built new PC - no POST.
Sent the board back to the supplyer, they discovered a damaged pin on the CPU Zif socket.

Here's the picture, look at the top row of pins.

ZiffSkt.jpg

In their opinion this was "caused by incorrect installation of the CPU".

Can anyone tell me how can one lift one pin up and over when CPU can only be sitted in one orientation and its pressed down?
Although I've been building PCs since '96, MCSE certified engineer, but I will accept a reasonable explanation if it is my fault.

Your honest opinion will be greatly appreciated.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I feel you that why Im gonna try to help you

1) did you install a 775 cpu before this happened?

Did you have to put force on the cpu when you were installing it?

Didnt you notice this before installing the cpu?

The most common reason I think how this might had happened is that you didnt make sure the cpu was well placed and forced it into the socket and the pin didnt resisted and broke. I dont think there is any other explanation.

If the store doesnt want to refund your money, I dont think the company of the board would do so either because they have the reason. You should have checked how the motherboard arrived to see if this was a manufacturers fault.
I would say, sell it on eBay, there might be somebody (as always) who might give you something. You will have to get another board.

Again try to sell that on eBay and if you cant, Just throw it away, I dont think you can fix that. And better luck next time.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Hi guys,

Bought Asus P5B-E Plus board, built new PC - no POST.
Sent the board back to the supplyer, they discovered a damaged pin on the CPU Zif socket.

Here's the picture, look at the top row of pins.

ZiffSkt.jpg

In their opinion this was "caused by incorrect installation of the CPU".

Can anyone tell me how can one lift one pin up and over when CPU can only be sitted in one orientation and its pressed down?
Although I've been building PCs since '96, MCSE certified engineer, but I will accept a reasonable explanation if it is my fault.

Your honest opinion will be greatly appreciated.
I can't see how installation of CPU could do this damage - only one pin.

With many thousands of MB's/sockets built, there must be the odd faulty one that slips through.

Millions of pins made, some must have faults and break.

This is when the question must be asked - should we demand to inspect the socket in the store before purchase/leaving?

Once you leave the store, they will most of the time say that you caused the damage. (that is correct sometimes).

Even if they fix the MB, do you realy want that MB back when you have paid all that money.

And even then, the socket could be visually OK, but when CPU is fitted and if a pin/s have a weak spot, they could break when CPU applies tension.

Having previously bought new/faulty MB's (other fault), I emailed Intel recently and asked them if they had a program that could be installed in windows that checks all pins/contacts for OK continuity as depending of the pin/s specific operation/duty, the PC could still operate with a faulty pin contact but not to 100%.

They said that there was no program to do this.

It's surprising that Intel could spend millions to design the LGA775 socket and CPU's, but not spend a dime to design a simple program that could be even run from the BIOS or floppy, etc, to help pc builders.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I agree, is very strange that only 1 pin is broke. Still, as you said, they will always blame the user and in this cases, there is nothing left to do but to buy a new mobo.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I agree, is very strange that only 1 pin is broke. Still, as you said, they will always blame the user and in this cases, there is nothing left to do but to buy a new mobo.
This is where I like the previous socket design - Intel 478 and AM2.

There is less chance for pin damage to occur.

With the LGA design the pins are vulnerable - in the open, and they are required to flex where'as the previous design the contacts are covered and they "compress/clamp".

I guess all we can do is to be extra carefull when purchasing MB's to inspect socket, and when installing the CPU.

Maybe they could design the a socket/cpu setup to be like a card design that slips in a socket. :D

Xeal

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
did you install a 775 cpu before this happened?
I did not know there was anything wrong with the board.

Did you have to put force on the cpu when you were installing it?
No, the CPU has matching cut-outs and can be installed in only one orientation.

Didnt you notice this before installing the cpu?
I did not really inspect the socket with a magnifying glass, so the answer is "no". However your question made me wonder why Asus just places a fidly cap on top of the socket cover that can fly, and no protection on the socket itself.

The fact that only one pin is bent and it's pushed upwards and over the retaining partition makes me think it was not my fault. I though initially that it was cought on CPU contact when I was removing the chip from the socket, but then CPU suface is flat!

Thanks again, guys.

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Also note, that most of the times they (company selling you something) will try and tell you it's your fault. Sometimes, it might just help to state the facts and see if they go back on their initial claim.

With a pin bending upwards, it just seems too weird. Like you said, the CPU area is flat and there's no way in hell that a user can get the pin to move upwards during install or removal (although it does happen - but that's extreme). Sideways maybe, down yes and borken possible - NOT up - that requires grip.

Xeal

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Thanks for your reassurace, Vokofpolisiekar.

Without trying to bother you to death, but just in case you want to keep an eye on the progress of this affair, here's a mail I sent to the supplier today.

Dear XXX,

I feel that your explanation of the reason for the motherboard to be damaged by “incorrect installation of the CPU” is totally unacceptable.

1. CPU can only be fitted into the Zif socket in one orientation due to the notches on the socket and cut-outs on the edges of the CPU chip – they have to be aligned in order to place the CPU inside the socket.

2. The pin is bent upwards and over its retaining partition, whereas CPU is pressed downwards by the load plate. In order to make that pin bend one should be using watchmaker’s tools and a magnifying glass; neither of these is in my possession.

3. There’s only one pin bent. Forcing CPU would distort more than one pin.

4. If one did try to force a CPU using incorrect orientation, this would also leave marks on the Zif socket surrounding walls, and scratch the notches on the socket, not just one pin.

5. I am not new to computer hardware. I’ve been building PCs since 1996; I am Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and work in IT professionally, so the idea of somebody “new to the game” is out of the question.

6. Although the socket was protected by the cup seated on the load plate when I took the delivery, the motherboard box was not sealed in any fashion. So, anyone could have damaged the pin before it arrived.

7. You state in your letter that if goods are found faulty the supplier should be notified within “Reasonable time (usually a fairly short period)”.

- The motherboard arrived on 3 Jan 2007
- I started building a new PC with this board on 7 Jan 2007-01-14
- I called you on 9 Jan 2007 and you issued RMA
Surely, 6 days is a fairly short period

8. Can you reproduce this fault by forcing the CPU into the socket?

In order to conclude this matter I request full refund, including my postage costs.

Yours faithfully,

PS
I hope that the faulty PSU supplied by yourselves did not cause damage to the CPU chip.

Yes, PSU ThermalTake TR2 500W, was faulty and they will be issuing a refund.

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Keep us up to date.

Some fiendly pointers:

When you send such a mail, never use words like demand. You are at the mercy of whomever reads your mail, and that ranges from open minded right down to plain stupid. So, a friendly, to the point and fact based mail will most times go farther than a demand based mail. Your mail should get some response though. The second time, you can let loose :lol:

Never take ownership of an unsealed parcel - even if it's sealed, check the complete product from finger prints on the board to mechanical defects on points that are easy to spot. It's tedious, but it will save you in the case where you are wronged but fall prey to some loop hole.

Xeal

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
You are so write, thanks again for your advice!

I will let you know how it all ends.

Really frustrated, the machine was for my work, alas I have to byte a bullet and wait.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
We all hope you can get your money refunded :)

Something like that never happened to me but I know how you feel specially when we talk about pc parts cuz we know they cost a lot and is not just a simple toy.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Keep us up to date.

Some fiendly pointers:

When you send such a mail, never use words like demand. You are at the mercy of whomever reads your mail, and that ranges from open minded right down to plain stupid. So, a friendly, to the point and fact based mail will most times go farther than a demand based mail. Your mail should get some response though. The second time, you can let loose :lol:

Never take ownership of an unsealed parcel - even if it's sealed, check the complete product from finger prints on the board to mechanical defects on points that are easy to spot. It's tedious, but it will save you in the case where you are wronged but fall prey to some loop hole.
The above point "in bold" is very true, but MB packaging I have seen and purchased recently, have not been sealed.

A few years ago it was common for packaging to be sealed.

Retailers that I have purchased from have lied to me when I have asked - "this package seems to have been opened". "No they say"

They will treat you with the upmost courtesy to make a sale, but when you return a product, they don't want to know and virtually tell you to get lost and they don't seem to care about return business/sales, strange :roll:

What I do now is if I have any doubt about a component, I say see ya and go to another store.

Xeal

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Here's the suplier's reply to my mail. This time no hiding of their name.