[SOLVED] Bent pins on 3800x Ryzen

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I'm in need of help, my nephews purchased and tried to build their own, here is what they bought:https://pcpartpicker.com/user/YrOfDrgn64/saved/#view=p6s6RB
They made a BIG error they tried to install the CPU without releasing the MB cpu latch in doing so they bent 2 cpu pins, I told them to let me take a look at it, I told maybe a return would be best, I told I could try and bend the pins back but not a guaranteed fix could have issues, so I did just that, but Now after windows 10 install, windows keeps freezing up, and sometimes saying your PC had an issue and has to restart, I did a clean install twice and it's still happening,I would update the BIOS on mb but if it freezes while updating not good, the only drivers in are the GPU, MB drivers (Audio,Chipset,Lan), they wanted it done for Xmas day and I couldn't make it happen, What should I do, should I tell them to return CPU and MB, could it be a SSD issue,Power issue,Ram issue? I have to give them the bad news today. What can I do to fix this, any help from you guys is Greatly appreciated on a Xmas Day.

Last edited:
Solution
I've built half a dozen 3000 systems and have used that memory kit with a few of them with mixed results. I've also used that kit on a bunch of 1st and 2nd gen builds without issue. It didn't play nice with certain bios versions and motherboards with the 3000 CPU's. It wouldn't post with some CPU/mobo combo's and wasn't stable in others. The problem with 3200 cl16 is that a bunch of different memory IC's can do those speed/timings. 2 kit's with the exact same SKU can have a completely different IC's in them depending on what the manufacturer decided to use that day.

While it's entirely possible that the weirdness and instability is related to the bent pins it's also possible the memory isn't playing nice. When you get the new CPU...
Dec 26, 2019
soundcloud.com
I'm in need of help, my nephews purchased and tried to build their own, here is what they bought:https://pcpartpicker.com/user/YrOfDrgn64/saved/#view=p6s6RB
They made a BIG error they tried to install the CPU without releasing the MB cpu latch in doing so they bent 2 cpu pins, I told them to let me take a look at it, I told maybe a return would be best, I told I could try and bend the pins back but not a guaranteed fix could have issues, so I did just that, but Now after windows 10 install, windows keeps freezing up, and sometimes saying your PC had an issue and has to restart, I did a clean install twice and it's still happening,I would update the BIOS on mb but if it freezes while updating not good, the only drivers in are the GPU, MB drivers (Audio,Chipset,Lan), they wanted it done for Xmas day and I couldn't make it happen, What should I do, should I tell them to return CPU and MB, could it be a SSD issue,Power issue,Ram issue? I have to give them the bad news today. What can I do to fix this, any help from you guys is Greatly appreciated on a Xmas Day.

Firstly, Be sure the board can support the 3800x really.

Freezing while updating is usually a RAM issue, Easily too. But, Being the pins were bent, It's tough to say. The only way it would have damaged the CPU is if the contacts themselves at the tip of the pins attached to the CPU its self were slightly pulled away by just a notch, Barely noticeable.

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Firstly, Be sure the board can support the 3800x really.

Freezing while updating is usually a RAM issue, Easily too. But, Being the pins were bent, It's tough to say. The only way it would have damaged the CPU is if the contacts themselves at the tip of the pins attached to the CPU its self were slightly pulled away by just a notch, Barely noticeable.
Yes the x570 Aorus Elite does support 3rd gen Ryzen 7 3800x, and Win 10 was freezing randomly while doing anything or just idle, mouse would also freeze up in Bios settings had to move mouse and keyboard to other usb's to unfreeze, that's why I didn't try to update the mb bios felt risky to me, but their Mom is gonna try and return both cpu and mb hopefully she can get a refund or exchange.

... but their Mom is gonna try and return both cpu and mb hopefully she can get a refund or exchange.
FYI... AMD does not accept bent or broken pins for warranty claims. I've heard Amazon does, though, and especially with an Amazon Prime purchase. But if you fail in getting it exchanged it might could be repaired if the pins are not broken off.

Reactions: Geezer760

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009

FYI... AMD does not accept bent or broken pins for warranty claims. I've heard Amazon does, though, and especially with an Amazon Prime purchase. But if you fail in getting it exchanged it might could be repaired if the pins are not broken off.
Yes, she did buy all the parts from Amazon prime, so hopefully they will refund. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/YrOfDrgn64/saved/#view=p6s6RB I did repair the bent 2 pins, system booted up but would (mouse pointer) randomly freeze up in BIOs screen, and installed win10 but windows kept freezing up constantly as well and had to keep restarting system, did 2 clean win10 installs with no change,the only drivers installed were the chipset, audio,lan and gpu, I did not want to take a chance on updating the BIOs version due to constant freezing, I just figured the best thing to do was return it. just wan't sure if the 2 bent pins were the cause or would be of future concern.

Last edited:

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I've built half a dozen 3000 systems and have used that memory kit with a few of them with mixed results. I've also used that kit on a bunch of 1st and 2nd gen builds without issue. It didn't play nice with certain bios versions and motherboards with the 3000 CPU's. It wouldn't post with some CPU/mobo combo's and wasn't stable in others. The problem with 3200 cl16 is that a bunch of different memory IC's can do those speed/timings. 2 kit's with the exact same SKU can have a completely different IC's in them depending on what the manufacturer decided to use that day.

While it's entirely possible that the weirdness and instability is related to the bent pins it's also possible the memory isn't playing nice. When you get the new CPU installed run memtest86 to confirm that the memory is stable.

You can update the bios in that board with it powered off even without a CPU. It has a BIOS flashback feature.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_x570-features.pdf

1-3 Using Q-Flash Plus A. Before you use Q-Flash Plus, follow the steps below in sequence: 1. From GIGABYTE's website, download the latest compressed BIOS update file that matches your motherboard model. 2. Uncompress the downloaded BIOS file, save it to your USB flash drive, and rename it to GIGABYTE.bin. Note: The USB flash drive must use the FAT32/16 file system. 3. Insert the USB flash drive into the white USB port on the back panel. 4. Connect the power cables to the 12V power connector (connect either one if there are two) and main power connector. B. Using Q-Flash Plus Press the Q-Flash Plus button and the system will automatically search and match the BIOS file in the USB flash drive on the white USB port. The QFLED and the Q-Flash Plus button on the rear panel will flash during the BIOS matching and flashing process. Wait for 2-3 minutes and the QFLED will stop flashing when the BIOS flashing is complete. • Before using the Q-Flash Plus function, make sure that your system is off (S5 shutdown state). • If your motherboard has a BIOS switch and a SB switch, reset them to their default settings. (Default setting for the BIOS switch: Boot from the main BIOS; default setting for the SB switch: Dual BIOS) • After the main BIOS is flashed, the system will reboot automatically and then DualBIOS™ will continue to update the backup BIOS. After completion, the system will reboot again and boot from the main BIOS. • Q-Flash Plus will update the main BIOS only if run without the CPU installed. The system will shut down upon completion.

Reactions: Geezer760
Solution