Question Bent Pins repaired still nothing

Jogibearson

Prominent
Dec 28, 2019
Okay so today I switched my little brothers cooler from an AM2 standard one to a Wraith Prism. Sadly the Wraith Prism had to be reseated because of the CPU Power connector which we forgot to plug in before the cooler. So as I lift the Wraith Prism up it kept the CPU on it which I didnt see and I dropped it on the pins. They were bent a little but nothing too crazy so I just bent them back and popped everything back together. Now the whole system doesn't boot at all, there is not even an attempt. I checked multiple times plugged all the cables in a few more time but it still doesn't work. The only thing lighting up is the Mouse, thats it. No spinning fans or anything. What could've gone wrong? Has been the worst Christmas ever.

Jogibearson

Prominent
Dec 28, 2019
check the pins again, may have to use the barrel of a mechanical pencil to straighten and maybe a credit card to align.

maybe more problematic is if the chip was damaged by ESD when you moved it around, in which case it's fried

I heard that killing a cpu with ESD not only requires a high body electricity but also to touching the pins which I both didnt have. I'll take another look at the pins though.

... I'll take another look at the pins though.
Definitely look at the pins again...and also look carefully at the contacts in the socket. Look at the contacts at an angle with a bright light and look for any that glint a little differently from the others. The contacts may be protected by the plastic shroud but they're still fragile and tugging all those pins out may have damaged one or two just enough they don't make contact anymore.

there's always the possibility there was static buildup on the surface you dropped it on e.g. a carpet or sweater. if bent pins aren't the culprit - then you may have a tougher issue. guess it's a bad week for your rigs

I heard that killing a cpu with ESD not only requires a high body electricity but also to touching the pins which I both didnt have. I'll take another look at the pins though.

Jogibearson

Prominent
Dec 28, 2019
there's always the possibility there was static buildup on the surface you dropped it on e.g. a carpet or sweater. if bent pins aren't the culprit - then you may have a tougher issue. guess it's a bad week for your rigs
Definitely look at the pins again...and also look carefully at the contacts in the socket. Look at the contacts at an angle with a bright light and look for any that glint a little differently from the others. The contacts may be protected by the plastic shroud but they're still fragile and tugging all those pins out may have damaged one or two just enough they don't make contact anymore.

Thanks for the help and suggestions on this. As soon as I dropped the cpu back in after checking pins a second time it booted right away. My brother put the Power back on to see if it boots without cpu and didnt tell me lol. I have no clue whats going on but it works and runs 27°c idle now. Heads up gamers. If I can fix this, I can fix my rig later too... i hope.

Reactions: Hamez23