Question Bent socket pins

jdidds

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
I accidentaly bent two of the socket pins on a motherboard I'm selling. The motherboard is an MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon, S-115 if that has anything to say. The CPU that was previously installed was a i9-9700k.

I managed to bend the pins back with a needle until they looked right and then I placed the CPU into the socket and and fastened the CPU holder on to it. Now they look like this. Earlier bent pins marked with the arrows...

View: https://imgur.com/a/zCEe2ZH

They now look fine to me, but I am a bit concerned about selling it. The guy that was originally going to buy it opted out when I told him, which I understand of course, but can I still sell this motherboard to someone else or is it likely to cause problems?

Sorry about the poor image quality. Had to use my DSLR with the macro lense attached and an additional macro magnifying lense attached to that to get any kind of semi-decent shot and it was hand held.

Thanks

Last edited:

jdidds

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
Did the system boot with the CPU in it, everything worked?

Unfortunately I can't try that without building the system up again. I have taken out old PC parts and upgraded. I guess I have enough components to build up a pc just for testing but it's a lot of work. Guess that's the only way to know for sure, though?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Better that then sending it off and having to deal with the person that gets a non-working board.

The pins look alright, not bent that much, might just be a matter of tweaking it a little if it doesn't work on the first try.

Yeah just stick the CPU back in a 2 sticks of ram, any PSU that has at least a 20 pin and a 4 pin CPU connecter and just set a cooler on it, wont really need to use thermal paste if all you are doing is booting it up to the bios screen, I would make sure all the Dimm slots work though, But I really don't see why it wouldn't work, pins look pretty darn close to way it was from factory, But the only way to tell is to just boot it up to bios at least.

Or sell it and if it doesn't work for the buyer, refund them.

jdidds

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
Better that then sending it off and having to deal with the person that gets a non-working board.

The pins look alright, not bent that much, might just be a matter of tweaking it a little if it doesn't work on the first try.

Alright, I'll see what I can put together. Thanks for the help!

Yeah just stick the CPU back in a 2 sticks of ram, any PSU that has at least a 20 pin and a 4 pin CPU connecter and just set a cooler on it, wont really need to use thermal paste if all you are doing is booting it up to the bios screen, I would make sure all the Dimm slots work though, But I really don't see why it wouldn't work, pins look pretty darn close to way it was from factory, But the only way to tell is to just boot it up to bios at least.

Or sell it and if it doesn't work for the buyer, refund them.

OKay. I'll give it a go. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS