[SOLVED] Bent ssd on Asus tuf x570?

Joppie

Prominent
Sep 27, 2019
Hello,

I'm currently using the Asus Tuf x570-plus motherboard, and I want to install an m.2 drive on it.
Now, I've built a system for a friend of mine with the same mobo, but when I installed the m.2 in the bottom slot (under the heatsink), it'd bend, even when barely tightening down the heatsink.
I proceeded to install it in the top slot.

First firstly, is this normal? Secondly, is it even worth the effort of taking out my gpu and placing the drive under the heatsink? Does it really help much?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
I've seen people try to use the standoff for the heatsink for various boards, which is taller than the standoff for the M.2.

Provided you're using the standoff from the motherboard box, in the correct position (2280, probably), then it shouldn't 'bent' any different than it does in the top slot with no heatsink.

As far as whether the heatsink is beneficial, it really depends. The NAND flash doesn't card about temps, but the controller does. If you're performing extended periods of reads/writes, then the heatsink can be beneficial. In 'normal' circumstances, it's probably not going to much at all.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I've seen people try to use the standoff for the heatsink for various boards, which is taller than the standoff for the M.2.

Provided you're using the standoff from the motherboard box, in the correct position (2280, probably), then it shouldn't 'bent' any different than it does in the top slot with no heatsink.

As far as whether the heatsink is beneficial, it really depends. The NAND flash doesn't card about temps, but the controller does. If you're performing extended periods of reads/writes, then the heatsink can be beneficial. In 'normal' circumstances, it's probably not going to much at all.

Solution

Joppie

Prominent
Sep 27, 2019

Allright, good to know. They're rather normal circumstances, might make it my boot drive, some games here and there but that's really it.

Gonna just check if I can get it to fit normally, if not, it's just going in the top slot.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Try it out, there's certainly no harm in putting it there.
If in doubt, snap a pic & post it here. Remember, naturally the SSD is going to sit an an angle, so pushing down on it/securing it down will likely create a minor bend..... but I've never seen an extreme example, under normal circumstances.

Joppie

Prominent
Sep 27, 2019
Try it out, there's certainly no harm in putting it there.
If in doubt, snap a pic & post it here. Remember, naturally the SSD is going to sit an an angle, so pushing down on it/securing it down will likely create a minor bend..... but I've never seen an extreme example, under normal circumstances.
I just realized it'd be quite the job to actuslly check if it's bending, I'd have to take off my aio cooling, gpu, unplug everything and get the motherboard out.
Not sure whether I should bother or not.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
I just realized it'd be quite the job to actuslly check if it's bending, I'd have to take off my aio cooling, gpu, unplug everything and get the motherboard out.
Not sure whether I should bother or not.
Personally I wouldn't bother, I guess if you're feeling risky you could just not tighten it down and let the heatsink on the bottom slot cover the SSD.