Question bent/warped motherboard

Eugene$$

Reputable
Dec 15, 2019
Hi,
i brought z390 ace from ebay, after receiving it i noticed that it has a bent (call it curved) in rear io and other places, i made a ticket to the Msi officials, they said that their mobo able to withstand certain amount of warping, and it should straightened once i put it in the case.
i am still testing it but i am worried it can damage traces/lanes/solder/components/you name it.

what do you think?

i noticed that it has a bent (call it curved) in rear io and other places
guessing it's not new since bought from eBay.

the reason it was for sale could be because the owner was suffering some issues with it already.
or could be offered as open-box/refurbished/etc due to it not passing manufacturer inspection for sale as new.

i would never buy a used/refurbished motherboard to begin with,
but i definitely wouldn't keep one with such visible defects.
i am worried it can damage traces/lanes/solder/components/you name it.
the stress caused by the bend could affect solder, circuits, or anything and those defects may not show for some time, if they ever may.

Last edited:

HydroXzX

Prominent
Aug 22, 2023
Highly doubt it will damage any component you use with it, Sit it on a piece of cardboard, rubber, wood ect and test it outside of the case with cpu, gpu and stick of ram in it and see if it posts!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
from ebay
Used hardware is sold "as is" without 0 warranty, while can include all the dents/bends and other wear and tear used hardware has.

Also, MSI has 0 obligation to provide you any support since MoBo doesn't have any warranty. If they are nice, they can say that it should work fine, but other than that, don't expect any replacement cost free.

i am still testing it but i am worried it can damage traces/lanes/solder/components/you name it.
When you're worried about MoBo damage, why buy used MoBo in the first place? :unsure:

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

Eugene$$

Reputable
Dec 15, 2019
was the packaging somehow damaged?

looks like the ACE on top of the io shield was bent as well?
it was packed very well, so i dont know for sure, the io shield was ok before opening it, the mobo looks very good no sing of damage/cracks and so on, i am testing it and no issues so far.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
I've purchased a number of motherboards and other components on eBay and if they don't work, I file a return if they are not as described. If your motherboard works, don't worry about slight curvature. You might get several years use out of it.

Modern motherboards bend under tension from heat sink mounting screws.

If you're unlucky, you might need an LGA1700 contact frame to ensure better contact between the CPU IHS and the bottom of the heat sink.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-lga1700-bcf-contact-frame