Bentley Continental GT V8: Some Cool Tech, And Loads Of Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky2010

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Something I've been thinking of for a while: why don't car makers go to using tablet style OS in their in-car systems?Get an open source system such as Android, and place what is essentially a tablet in the dash.First you get great looking graphics, good touch-sensitivity, and the ability for your consumers to really download apps and customize these systems. Usually it'll remain a rather dull looking thing until you buy a new car, but you can make things more vivid.Of course it's not as simple as it sounds, but it can be something.

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Steel instead of aluminum is not classy, is cheap. 5 tons make this... what? a cheap rolls-royce?I don't know. Here Bentleys are for people who like to show off more money than they really have, so sad :-(

Something I've been thinking of for a while: why don't car makers go to using tablet style OS in their in-car systems?Get an open source system such as Android, and place what is essentially a tablet in the dash.First you get great looking graphics, good touch-sensitivity, and the ability for your consumers to really download apps and customize these systems. Usually it'll remain a rather dull looking thing until you buy a new car, but you can make things more vivid.Of course it's not as simple as it sounds, but it can be something.

i I agree but come up with this idea they have to pay lot off PATENT fee cause some one already think about that and made the patent.

Gentlemen?,

I've been a Bentley fan for a long while and the very first car I ever owned was a 1952 Bentley MKVI, a nice one owner, 60,000 miles, "standard steel" or non-custom bodied- purchased for £400 in 1974.

Driving the MKVI had a particularly pleasant and secure feel about it. Though it was right-hand-drive, it still also the gear shift lever on the right, specially placed so the driver's ankles would hit the lever getting in and getting out. Yes, it was both the first standard-bodied and the last manual shift Bentley. There was all that wood and leather and wool carpeting- even the trunk had that wonderful musty, damp wool aroma. Anyone who misses being in England can instantly conjure it up in portable form by keeping an old British car around- and keeping it damp. Well, it will be permanently damp regardless.

And, the MKVI Bentley, though big and heavy compared to almost everything else, was one of the fastest regular production cars made > in 1949 the fastest was the Jaguar XK120, then the Bentley, and then the Cadillac Series 62> before Cadillacs became so bloated. The MKVI was probably not longer than a modern day Mustang and rather tall, but just felt like an extremely fast and nimble tank.

I drove this car around Cambridge (England) for only four months because the insurance cost as much per year as the car- 4.5 Litres was considered a lot of HP for an 18-year old in the land of the 1 Litre, but almost none of the thirty-five or so cars I’ve had since, including XK140MC, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, and 1928 and 1936 Packards had that same combination of security, dignity and speed. The Mercedes 6.3 was probably closest.

The MKVI though was an exception to the trend of Bentley’s being the lower-key Rolls and in fact you could buy a Rolls that was the same car as the MKVI called the Silver Dawn> only the grille was changed and it had one SU instead of the Bentley’s two. For a long while though, really from the late 30's until the VW takeover, Bentley was no longer the “businessman’s express” and gentleman’s racer, they were dull and most people’s memories had to do more with the lack of reliability and the amazing repair costs than the pleasant sensations of driving. The joke of Rolls and Bentley’s in the 70's was that you needed a mechanic named Nigel in the boot and a Morris Minor on davits as a life raft.

So good then that VW chose to revive the sporting image with a 12-potter of more than adequate HP, and racy wheels and striking Aston Martin’s grandfather’s looks. Since the Continental GT arrived in whatever, 2003 or so, no matter it’s a VW (as is the Bugatti Veyron) I’m again a “Bentley Boy”. Now, if only I could find a good one-owner, used one for £400,..

BambiBoom

brenro12

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
This car is so out of step in today's world it can only be described as vulgar. I've owned half ton pickups that didn't weigh as much as this supertanker on wheels.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
It's due to development cycles. Cars like the Bentley Continental GT V8 are on long life cycles. The car originally came out in 2003 and had updates a few years ago but its still the same vehicle at heart. So say the development cycle on the Conti GT alone was 5 years, not counting how long it took VW to develop the Phaeton's platform. The car's out for 10-15 years. On more mainstream cars, they work on 10-year cycles as well. The companies are already working on the next generation before the current new one is even out. That limits what they can do with tech since it evolves at such a fast pace. Tablets haven't become cheaper and mainstream until the last 2-3 years. There's also the user interface, what works perfectly while being held in your hand or used close to your face won't exactly be perfect while you're sitting in the driver's seat. Icons have to be bigger, they have to respond to different input methods and not be a driver distraction.

Steel instead of aluminum is not classy, is cheap. 5 tons make this... what? a cheap rolls-royce?I don't know. Here Bentleys are for people who like to show off more money than they really have, so sad :-(

The chassis is steel but the body panels and most everything else are aluminum.

I've been a Bentley fan for a long while and the very first car I ever owned was a 1952 Bentley MKVI, a nice one owner, 60,000 miles, "standard steel" or non-custom bodied- purchased for £400 in 1974. Driving the MKVI had a particularly pleasant and secure feel about it. Though it was right-hand-drive, it still also the gear shift lever on the right, specially placed so the driver's ankles would hit the lever getting in and getting out. Yes, it was both the first standard-bodied and the last manual shift Bentley. There was all that wood and leather and wool carpeting- even the trunk had that wonderful musty, damp wool aroma. Anyone who misses being in England can instantly conjure it up in portable form by keeping an old British car around- and keeping it damp. Well, it will be permanently damp regardless.And, the MKVI Bentley, though big and heavy compared to almost everything else, was one of the fastest regular production cars made > in 1949 the fastest was the Jaguar XK120, then the Bentley, and then the Cadillac Series 62> before Cadillacs became so bloated. The MKVI was probably not longer than a modern day Mustang and rather tall, but just felt like an extremely fast and nimble tank.I drove this car around Cambridge (England) for only four months because the insurance cost as much per year as the car- 4.5 Litres was considered a lot of HP for an 18-year old in the land of the 1 Litre, but almost none of the thirty-five or so cars I’ve had since, including XK140MC, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, and 1928 and 1936 Packards had that same combination of security, dignity and speed. The Mercedes 6.3 was probably closest.The MKVI though was an exception to the trend of Bentley’s being the lower-key Rolls and in fact you could buy a Rolls that was the same car as the MKVI called the Silver Dawn> only the grille was changed and it had one SU instead of the Bentley’s two. For a long while though, really from the late 30's until the VW takeover, Bentley was no longer the “businessman’s express” and gentleman’s racer, they were dull and most people’s memories had to do more with the lack of reliability and the amazing repair costs than the pleasant sensations of driving. The joke of Rolls and Bentley’s in the 70's was that you needed a mechanic named Nigel in the boot and a Morris Minor on davits as a life raft.So good then that VW chose to revive the sporting image with a 12-potter of more than adequate HP, and racy wheels and striking Aston Martin’s grandfather’s looks. Since the Continental GT arrived in whatever, 2003 or so, no matter it’s a VW (as is the Bugatti Veyron) I’m again a “Bentley Boy”. Now, if only I could find a good one-owner, used one for £400,..BambiBoom
VW has done a fantastic job with their brands IMO. You can complain it has a similar dash layout or platform of a VW, but you can't complain about the results Bentley has achieved by tapping into VW's wonderful resources.

g-unit1111

Titan

Check out the Tesla Model S - the in screen car controls and navigation/"infotainment" system is about exactly like a giant tablet for controlling the car - and it's on a huge 17" screen that splits the controls between vehicle controls and navigation / radio / etc. Even has web browsing functionality.

ryuukun14

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
The other issue is security and reliability. The crash rates and instability inherent to android would be unacceptable in an automotive platform, along with the security limitations of open source Android. Look at what QNX is doing, they are heading in the touchscreen/tablet style direction.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
This is a tech site so I will judge this article based on that viewpoint. The case on this system is nice but the hardware is rather dated and I can get similar packages for my pickup truck running around $600. Personally I find my 4k pound pickup truck to be a bit more useful and it costs 1/20th what this Bentley costs. My pickup also gets similar fuel economy and I get to install my in-dash system myself.

fatalsyndrom

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Since it's registered under the open source copyright, you aren't allowed to use it in anything business or money related without permission from the authors of the software.

tcb1005

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
I have never owned anything made by Volkswagen because I prefer Mercedes-Benz although I have heard nothing but good things about Audi, although their reliability concerns me.

mcgee101

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
I have never owned anything made by Volkswagen because I prefer Mercedes-Benz although I have heard nothing but good things about Audi, although their reliability concerns me.
Audi is a good company. I had the pleasure of driving in a 2006 quattro a6 for 2 months I loved the car. Unfortunately it had wayy too many things wrong with it from its previous owners mishandling the vehicle.. 18k to repair a car that is worth that to begin with I dont think so.

mcgee101

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
Since it's registered under the open source copyright, you aren't allowed to use it in anything business or money related without permission from the authors of the software.
Also another thing about that is the fact that these car companies dont want the jonny q programmer that knows a little bit about android/ios programming to be able to program something that can get into the system and f everything up.Its not that you cant do that with the os's on the cars but you have to get to root.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
All I have to say in top gear season 19 episode 1 the bently continental gt speed version 600+ W12 twin turbo and full throttle on a rally coursewith rally drive bone stock :)

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

There were a lot of dirt roads from Bakersfield, CA to Las Vegas. I kept eying them and thinking of that episode. Unfortunately the loan agreement frowns upon such shenanigans :(

jlwtech

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
I really don't think I want to be getting my car reviews from Toms, no offense.
GPU's? yes
CPU's? yes
HDD's, SSD's, Motherboards, Memory, HSF's, PSU's, Cases, Thermal Paste, Monitors, Peripherals, Networking? YES
All the awesome charts and guides? Yes
SBM? Absolutely

0-60 times? No.
That's where Top Gear comes in.
Even though they are too busy with floating pickup trucks, and reliant robin shuttlecraft, to do proper car reviews anymore...

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

We will still have that same great content. We do not really cover the 0-60 times, just dive deeper into the UI, functionality, tech bits that are usually written off as checklist features in traditional car reviews. What can I add to the car reviews to be more appealing to you?

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
We've got an 08 GTC and an 08 Flying Spur, both between 725 and 740hp. The new model does look nice, but Bentley has kept many of the features as standard for some time.The touch-panel UI is newer, but... As long as I can see where the shock absorber height and tension is at, (to me) the detail is irrelevant.As for winter-driving, on rain, snow or ice, the AWD makes it VERY easy to control.Hands down, the nicest to drive, and ride in.

Status
Not open for further replies.