Bentley Continental GT V8: Some Cool Tech, And Loads Of Class

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

That sounds like an amazing garage lineup. Have a shot? They are both beautiful vehicles parked side-by-side. They keep the features the same due to the high cost / long production life.

jlwtech

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

jlwtech

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
A website-style review, with pictures and text, just can't beat a video review with engine noise and powerslides.
In order to truly convert me, you would have to do a full video review, comparing the car to others of it's type and price.

I understand that that is a tall order, and probably not realistic for Toms in the near future.

Maybe start with some short video clips of acceleration and cornering, along with 0-60 times, BHP figures, 1/4 mile time, and power-to-weight ratio's.
Or a simple drag race video between a few cars of similar type, power, and price.

I would recommend reviewing cars, and doing comparisons, that are not found elsewhere, to give the Toms article some exclusivity.
This would provide that extra "pull" for car lovers, who already have their established list of "fast-car journalism" sources. You have to have something that no-body else has, to really establish yourselves in the motoring community.

jlwtech

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Also, I would just like to say:
That Bentley Continental GT is amazing, To have a 2.5 Ton luxury GT car, keep up with an all-out rally car, is truly amazing.
Major respect to Bentley for pulling that off.
I would love to see Bentley continue down this road of faster, lighter, and better handling cars.
Something to rival the V12 Vantage. Small and light, with that w12 engine in it.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Something I've been thinking of for a while: why don't car makers go to using tablet style OS in their in-car systems?Get an open source system such as Android, and place what is essentially a tablet in the dash.First you get great looking graphics, good touch-sensitivity, and the ability for your consumers to really download apps and customize these systems. Usually it'll remain a rather dull looking thing until you buy a new car, but you can make things more vivid.Of course it's not as simple as it sounds, but it can be something.
Another issue that I've heard is that with a full touch screen, you would have to keep looking down at the screen to know where to touch. When you're driving you want to keep you eyes on the road as much as possible so having a system with tactile controls that are easy to learn without having to look at them is better for driving.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Something I've been thinking of for a while: why don't car makers go to using tablet style OS in their in-car systems?Get an open source system such as Android, and place what is essentially a tablet in the dash.First you get great looking graphics, good touch-sensitivity, and the ability for your consumers to really download apps and customize these systems. Usually it'll remain a rather dull looking thing until you buy a new car, but you can make things more vivid.Of course it's not as simple as it sounds, but it can be something.
Another issue that I've heard is that with a full touch screen, you would have to keep looking down at the screen to know where to touch. When you're driving you want to keep you eyes on the road as much as possible so having a system with tactile controls that are easy to learn without having to look at them is better for driving.

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

We are not setup with a track for those types of videos for the most part. Our main focus is the tech bits since they are often ignored or looked at as a checklist. I've received cars with broken tech features that nobody has noticed because the fast-car journalists didn't notice or ignored. We are not trying to replace them, but to compliment them :).

However, we are looking into expanding into more DIY stuff to retrofit a more basic car with some of the tech features found in higher end cars.

tcb1005

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014

I really hope you will get your hands on a 2014 Mercedes-Benz S class and review all of the technology they shoved into that beast!

tuanies

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I'm really hoping they send one up here but its a rarity that they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.