[SOLVED] BeQuiet dark base 700, fan hub, different rpm fans.

GalaXxXx

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Hi guys,

I have a BeQuiet dark base 700 case and I have some questions regarding the FAN controller PCB.
The case comes with 2 fans installed (Silentwings 3, 140mm, max. 1600 rpm)
I bought additional 3 fans (Silentwings 3, 140mm, max. 1000 rpm)

I mounted 2 fans at the front, 1 fan at the bottom, 1 at the back and 1 at the top.

Now... the pcb where I connected the fans has two channels. I've connected the front fans and bottom fan to the first channel, and the two fans at the back to the second channel.
Firstly, I did not think about the max. fan rmp cause I thought they are the same.

All in all, I have mixed fans (with diffrent) rpm's on both channels, and the 1000 rpm fans are spinning slower than the 1600 ones.

Why does this happen? Based on what is the fan controller ordering fans to spin at x rmp ?

I want all fans to spin at the same speed.. what are my options?

71843497_509055199932614_7990420791713857536_n.jpg

Solution
So this is what I'd do with that configuration.

Use one motherboard header with one PWM splitter cable to one of your motherboard SYS_FAN headers, using the three of the 1000rpm fans in the front, as intake fans.

Then use two of the 1600rpm fans in the rear and top rear locations, using another PWM splitter cable to the other PWM SYS_FAN header on the motherboard.

Given the higher maximum RPM of the 1600rpm models, having only two of them as exhaust is going to just about balance out with the three lower RPM fans in the intake positions in terms of having a neutral pressure arrangement, which is generally optimal because it still gives you good cooling performance while also getting SOME benefit of dust suppression.

In the BIOS...
Your only option if you want all fans to spin at the same speed is to use ALL identical model numbers, and even then there will be some minimal differences based on the fact that not every motor on every fan is going to be an exact copy of the others. Variances of up to 100rpm between fans that are identical could but not necessarily WILL be possible.

That's not enough to be generally noticeable IF it even occurs.

Aside from that, even using different fans that have the same maximum RPM is going to result in somewhat different results but any fan that is PWM or DC controlled when matched with another fan that is similarly PWM or DC controlled, and has the same maximum RPM and is being fed the same fan control curve should be at worst moderately close to the same RPM and possibly very close. Again, due to the fact that there are typically small variances in motors it's almost impossible for any two fans to be 100% the same but they may look that way via software monitoring since numbers will likely be rounded to averages depending on what software is in use and the actual hardware involved.

For those fans, the only way you are ever going to get them the same is to trial and error reducing the fan control curve for the faster fans, down, until they match the other fans as close as possible. Better would be to return the slower fans and get another set of 1500rpm fans. Those 1000rpm fans have greatly diminished capability when compared to the faster fans.

GalaXxXx

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Well, shit:/...
I bought 140mm 1000rpm, cause I thought they are The same that in The case installed:/..

Now it will be hard for me to return them.. ygh.

Well, i need to make A decision. Thank you for answer.

GalaXxXx

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
ok @Darkbreeze .. I figured out what to do and I did it.
I've connected 2 fans 1600 rpm to channel no.1 and the other 3 fans 1000 rpm to channel no.2.

channel no. 1 (silent mode) , switch position "3" which means the fan will spin at 65% = 1040 rpm
channel no. 2 (performence mode), switch position "3" which means the fans will spin at 100% = 1000 RPM

Soooo, actually I've achived what I wanted. Pretty much the same RPM on all fans... am I right?

P.S. I am pretty dissapointed by the sound the case is producing... I mean... 1000 rpm on all fans is pretty loud imo.. what do you think about that rpm on case fans?

Regards

Honestly, I wouldn't run anything connected to any of the integrated fan hubs that come on any cases these days, unless I have absolutely no choice. Running them off the motherboard where they can be thermally controlled down to 200-300rpm when they don't need to be running that fast is a far better option.

What is your motherboard model?

Funny thing is, my Noctua fans, even running at full speed 1400-1600rpm, are BARELY audible.

GalaXxXx

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
My mb is gigabyte Z97-D3H. It has only 2x 4 pin connectors :/.... sooo I am stuck with the case hub.
Well... for 1 person it's barely audiable, and for the other it's loud. I mean... I dont have a proffesional db meter, but I've downloaded an app on my phone, and 0.5m from the case it shows 30db, which is pretty quiet I guess?

Before I've had an really old case, which was open all the time, and the only fans spinning were these on psu, cpu, and gpu. (very good quality cooling here), and it was really quiet...

+ I have an option to connect PWM signal from HUB to MB and... I did it, but I think my Mobo is not compatible with that option :((((...

Last edited by a moderator:
So according to the specs for that board it has a CPU fan header and 3 system fan headers. Even if it DID only have two system fan headers, you could simply get two fan splitter cables and run all four fans off two of the motherboard fan headers. Problem solved because then you can run two 1500rpm fans off one header, and have them run at the exact same PWM or DC signal with little to no variance, and two 1000RPM fans off the other one. You can also create a fan curve that allows both sets of fans to run at approximately the same speed at idle and then create a sharper slower incline on the fan curve for the 1500rpm fan header so that it more closely assumes the characteristics of the 1000rpm fans AND cap the speed of the 1500rpm fans at 1000rpm if you wish. I wouldn't, but that's just me. I'd also make sure that I put those faster fans in the exhaust fan locations, being the rear and top rear fan locations, as having an internal pressure arrangement that leans towards negative pressure is beneficial for cooling performance and also makes life easier on the front intake fans as they will have less internal pressure to struggle against which is a good thing because none of those fans have even remotely decent static pressure ratings.

GalaXxXx

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Well, you are right. It has 3 system fan headers but one of them is 3 pin, that is why I didnt mention it.

I've heard about the positive pressure being more beneficial compared to negative, but what you say actually makes sense. Aparentlly There will be just A liitle more dust gathering up in the case with negative pressure.

This is A good option to split The two fan headers on mobo, but Im curious how the pwm cable that should go from fan hub to mobo should work ..hmm.. if it did work.. The problem would be easily solved.

What program should I use to make custom fan curves and manage all fan speeds?
+What can be The max temp inside A case?

Yesterday I've been playing NFS Payback which stressed cpu and gpu to Max, and I've got
gpu temp- 60degrees, cpu- 70 and system temp- 42.
Is it any good for the system temp? All 5 fans at ~1000rpm.

GalaXxXx

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Ale fans are PWM 4 pin fans. I have actually 5 140mm fans for disposal (2x 1600rpm, 3x 1000rpm), and 1 fan 120mm 2200 rpm (I've found that yesterday, also silent wings 3 :p)..

So this is what I'd do with that configuration.

Use one motherboard header with one PWM splitter cable to one of your motherboard SYS_FAN headers, using the three of the 1000rpm fans in the front, as intake fans.

Then use two of the 1600rpm fans in the rear and top rear locations, using another PWM splitter cable to the other PWM SYS_FAN header on the motherboard.

Given the higher maximum RPM of the 1600rpm models, having only two of them as exhaust is going to just about balance out with the three lower RPM fans in the intake positions in terms of having a neutral pressure arrangement, which is generally optimal because it still gives you good cooling performance while also getting SOME benefit of dust suppression.

In the BIOS there will be options to either assign specific preset fan profiles such as silent, standard, full speed or manual user defined percentage to create a custom profile.

Or, if you prefer to use the fan controller that came with your case, but I can't advise you further on setting profiles using that right now because apparently the Be Quiet website is down so I can't see if there is an option to run in motherboard controlled mode on that controller instead of only preset speeds, which is kaka.

If that is all it is capable of, and if you cannot do what you want with the built in BIOS fan controls, then you may want to consider an aftermarket fan controller such as this one, which gives you TONS of options when it comes to controlling and customizing the fan controls.

https://www.amazon.com/Nzxt-Channel...ords=Grid++v3&qid=1569782810&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Solution

GalaXxXx

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Thank you for the answer. I am actually impressed when I see your posts and the emount of effort you put in writing them.

I think that buying an aftermarket fan hub is a good option here, this one from NZXT seems well made.

I've connected the PWM cable from my BeQuiet case fan hub to my motherboard, and... I went to BIOS and saw "1st system fan speed" - 800 rpm". When I put the front panel switch to 3rd position it goes up to 1600 rpm. But.. there are total of 5 fans connected to the hub... it's only reading the 1600 rpm fan? In addition to that, changing to "full speed" or "manual" or "silent" in bios, doesn't do anything to the fan rpm... Does this mean the mobo is not compatible with that kind of stuff?

Also... my bios seems to be really poor when it comes to fan control. I attached a screenshot to that post. This is the only page I can find with the ability to control any fans...

71218434_402106720499702_5794495165359980544_n.jpg

Ehh... it's so hard to get best cooling performence with low noise etc..
My mobo is crappy :(..

P.S. You told me to use PWM splitter and connect 3- 1000 rpm fans... From one header 3 fans?

Last edited by a moderator:
the way the de quiet! PCB panel(fan hub) works, for proper PWM control all fans connected need to be the same RPM.
when the hub's PWM cable is connected to a 4pin motherboard header it has very accurate RPM reading, but only if all of the connected fans are the same.

i have four 1,000 RPM Cryorig fans and two 1,600 RPM Silent Wings.
the fan hub is connected to CHA_FAN1 header.

when only the four Cryorigs are connected to the hub, the CHA_FAN1 header reports that it's RPMs are from 300 - 1,006.

when only the two Silent Wings are connected to the hub, the CHA_FAN1 header reports it's RPM from 400 - 1,590 RPMs.

when all six fans are connected to the hub, no matter their order or placement on the hub, the CHA_FAN1 header reports "?unknown?" RPMs.
with this type of mixed RPM setup you can still manually set a speed curve profile based on ° / %, but what speed the different fans will run cannot be determined through the fan control software.
is the hub locked at the lowest speed fan's RPM or are the individual fan's RPMs totally based on power %?

your best option would actually be to have the three 1,000 RPM fans connected to the hub.
and your two 1,600 RPM fans connected to motherboard headers.

setting the case front panel fan switch to "AUTO" then allows the fan hub speed to be controlled by your motherboard software with manual fan speed curves.