[SOLVED] bequiet! Dark Rock 3 Question: Missing C-Clip

Jul 5, 2019
Hi All,

I recently purchased a bequiet! Dark Rock 3 from Amazon. It is missing 1 C-Clip for mounting my Intel CPU.

1. What are my options?
  2. Can I substitute an O-ring from the included AMD kit for the missing C-Clip?

I don't want to return the whole unit just for this missing clip. How critical is this issue? :/

Thanks!

Solution
I looked over the manual for the installation of that cooler on Intel MBs, and there is no step in the procedure where they are removed. It appears that they are permanent spacers (most likely hard plastic), used to maintain even pressure and parallel alignment between the cooler baseplate and the CPU heatspreader.

Installing the cooler without all of the proper hardware is a decidedly bad move.

Start the return process with Amazon, and you'll receive a replacement in due time.
Jul 5, 2019
Thanks. Though, for my understanding: As far as I can tell, its only purpose is to (a) hold the mounting screw in place while installing the cooler and (b) prevent over-tightening?

I looked over the manual for the installation of that cooler on Intel MBs, and there is no step in the procedure where they are removed. It appears that they are permanent spacers (most likely hard plastic), used to maintain even pressure and parallel alignment between the cooler baseplate and the CPU heatspreader.

Installing the cooler without all of the proper hardware is a decidedly bad move.

Start the return process with Amazon, and you'll receive a replacement in due time.

Reactions: sid8tive
Solution
Jul 5, 2019

Thank you.

Jul 5, 2019

So, this was purchased from their Warehouse Deals department. They don't have a replacement for me and refunded 15% :( The price I got it for is almost half of street pricing ("Very Good" condition, and everything in perfect condition except the one missing C-clip) - so instead of returning it, since the price is great, I'm going to try and see if bequiet! can send me those clips as spare parts.