[SOLVED] Bequiet! straight power 11 850W replacement

May 16, 2022
Hello guys, I recently made a new build and I'm having some problems with it, during gameplay on some graphics heavy game, the whole system will shut down. I have a ryzen 9 5900x/ rx 6900 xt. After alot of investigation and testing, we narrowed it down to a weak powersupply in the Bequiet! straight power 11 850W.
So I was wondering if you could recommend me a more reliable PSU if you don't mind. Right now I have my eyes on the Corsair HX850. If you think it's a good upgrade let me know, or other suggestion, price is not a factor here, I'm looking for a stable reliable PSU at 850W. Thanks guys!

Solution
The HX 850w is a beast. It's never an issue to upgrade to that psu.

The Straight Power line is decent, but not really gaming cpu/gpu oriented, it's closer to design for an office pc. In the beQuiet lineup, it's the Dark Power that's designed to handle the stresses of instant high amperage draw components like the 6900xt.

Straight Power are closer to CX/RM range, the Dark Power are closer to RMx/HX range. It's not hard to see why the spikes especially from that 6900xt are giving the Straight Power psu fits.

Don't rely on brand names for reliability. That's entirely model depending. There's a pretty sizable gap in quality, durability, reliability for a high draw psu between a Corsair CX and a Corsair HX. One is built for the abuse, the...
May 16, 2022
I didn't "decide", it just was. In the bios the voltage values are below what it should be when nothing is running, so under load and especially when there are power spikes from the gpu, it just can't handle it.

May 16, 2022
Yeah I know, but there is no guaranty that they will send me a new one. Like they will test it and if on their testing ring they don't see any problems, they will send it back, and I probably will have to pay for shipping (again).
Anywho, I'd rather just try my luck with another more reliable company. Like I said I'm looking at the corsair.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The HX 850w is a beast. It's never an issue to upgrade to that psu.

The Straight Power line is decent, but not really gaming cpu/gpu oriented, it's closer to design for an office pc. In the beQuiet lineup, it's the Dark Power that's designed to handle the stresses of instant high amperage draw components like the 6900xt.

Straight Power are closer to CX/RM range, the Dark Power are closer to RMx/HX range. It's not hard to see why the spikes especially from that 6900xt are giving the Straight Power psu fits.

Don't rely on brand names for reliability. That's entirely model depending. There's a pretty sizable gap in quality, durability, reliability for a high draw psu between a Corsair CX and a Corsair HX. One is built for the abuse, the other isn't, so even if both were 850w, a CX would likely show the same performance issues you currently face.

Seasonic Prime would also work well, Evga P2, Thermaltake Tough Power Grand Platinum. Might even consider 1000/1050w psus if the price is right, some can be cheaper than the 850w varients, depending on sales.

Solution