Question Best 1000w PSU under $250 ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 30, 2021
Hi guys, I'm planning for a build. The build I'm planning for is this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DB6vGq
For a build like this, 1000w is HUGELY Overkill, but I'm futureproofing my psu since I'll be buying on of the 30 series and a ryzen 9 in like 3-5 years so.... yeah. Also, what's the best and safest miner to use? This build is a gaming build, but at night I'll just leave it to mine, I live in the UAE btw so prices here are wonderful.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
"Some people say" that the world is flat and that Bill Gates is trying to control the world through implanting microchips into our bodies. You should be very careful about trusting these anecdotal stories. Chances are they were doing something else wrong that made their dumb system shut down.

For some reason, PSU wattage is the one subject in PC building that gets people all crazy and terrified. I've seen people over-speccing PSUs for decades now, and I just don't get it. Maybe these people were hurt in the past by unbranded chinese PSUs that used to fry motherboards with alarming regularity? This was back in the 90s and early 2000s though, things aren't really like that any more. Or maybe its the fact you can't really tell how overloaded or not a PSU is, there's no load monitoring possible, no nice green LED that tells you that everything is fine?

These days, if your PSU isn't strong enough for the work you're asking it to do, your computer just turns off. If it remains on, then there is enough power. Simple as that.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
Really, there is no need for such overkill.
Even if money is no object.
Here is a good chart as to what is appropriate for different graphics cards.
It shows 400w for a GTX1650 super:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
By using a psu capable of 1000w, it will use only the power demanded of it.
So far, so good.
But, a psu is most efficient in the middle third of it's range.
Your psu will be consuming more power than what it should running at much less than capacity.
Look for something in the 650/750w range to handle a future graphics upgrade.
Nice chart!!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador