xerxces

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I have a 60 GB OCZ SSD but I had to stop using it as a primary drive becasue it failed too many times so now I only use to for games. I am looking for a biggest/more reliable SSD and not sure which way to go. Anyone had any success with a particular SSD? Also, it seems like the Intel SSD's are rated very good on newegg but will they work well with an AMD system? Thanks!

karl_ranseier

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Hi,

iam using an OCZ 120gb too atm. I had to replace the SDD TWICE because of failures. After a pc restart the bios was unable to detect the SSD.
So I would also NOT recommend a OCZ SSD any longer.

(1) Recommend either the samsung 830 or the Curcial M4 - have both. Performance, real life - very little difference. Samsung probably better (closer to Intel), But have had no problems with pair of M4s in laptop. The 830 has only been in about a week, it replaced a Agility III as a OS + Program disk.

(2) as to platform. Most benchmarks are mostly based on the Intel chipset and use iaSTor driver. Benchmarks will show a difference, But the real question is How that translates to real life. Appearenatly Synthetic benchmark defferences between various sata III ssds do NOT show much difference in real life. In fact there is NOT a big diff between using a SATA III SSD on a SATA III port vs puting it on a SATA II port. One of the reasons is Sequencial read/writes are the least important matrix for a OS + Program drive.

^5 +1 what Retired Chief said!

Here is my standard reply:

If reliability and stability is a major concern, then I recommend Samsung. Samsung was awarded contracts to supply Dell, Sony, Lenovo, Apple and other off the shelf brands with OEM versions of their 470 Series SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd's. Eventually the 470's were released for retail sale to consumers. There have been no major issues reported. The 470 has an absolutely stellar record.

Then Samsung released their 830 Series SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's as successors to the 470. The first ones were OEM versions for Dell and the other off the shelf brands followed by release of retail versions for consumers. The ssd's are Samsung's own design with their own components and firmware. It looks like Samsung got it right again.

Here is a link the to ssd database:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and then click on the links to the technical reviews.