Best 1440p High Refresh rate display on a budget?

Elvirth

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
1. I am in the US

2. This is going to be a monitor for web browsing, movies, and more-than-casual gaming

3. I would prefer a 2560x1440 native resolution

4. Refresh rate is flexible for me, I'm used to 60hz but can notice ghosting in high-res youtube videos. Would prefer a stable Hz rating of 85 or above, advise me if I'm being an idiot.

5. I have a hypothetical budget of around 5-600 dollars, this is basically just earmarking something for future purchase.

6. No preferred brands really, I do like Asus, but I am ok with Korean monitors as long as they aren't all dead-pixel/lightbleedy.

7. No non-preferred brands besides Dell.

8. I only need a single monitor.

9. Future system has 2 EVGA GTX 780TI Classified editions in SLI.

10. DisplayPort or DVI-I connectivity preferred, unless someone has better advice.

11. This would be a primary display.

Solution
The Acer is getting great reviews, if you're willing to up your budget you should get it.

G-sync is great, I turn it off and try the other modes and there is just no comparing, it has all the strengths and none of the weakness and add IPS 144hz and you do have something special.

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Rog SWIFT his all your points excluding budget, The ACER gsync 27" (1080p) can be found for $500 though and provide the same experience.

I have the AOC 24" gsync which is in the $400 range and it's so good.

The colors and smoothness are just great I was really surprised, its also a tomshardware favorite.

chenw

Honorable
Currently there are 3 monitors I am aware of that is 1440p high refresh:

Asus RoG Swift (TN)
Acer Predator XB270HU (IPS)
Overlord Tempest X270OC (IPS)

The first two has G-Sync incorporated, the last does not.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that Both the Swift and the Predator both inherently support 144hz as their base spec, the Tempest only goes 'up to' 120hz, so you may or may not get that high

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
The Acer is getting great reviews, if you're willing to up your budget you should get it.

G-sync is great, I turn it off and try the other modes and there is just no comparing, it has all the strengths and none of the weakness and add IPS 144hz and you do have something special.

Solution

chenw

Honorable
Yep, very little drawbacks compared to Swift, though Swift does well in many areas, when both are priced similarly, there is no comparing, the Predator wins with colors flying.

Hell, if the predator is available where and I haven't gotten my swift yet, I would gladly pay $1000 for a pixel perfect version of that monitor.

Elvirth

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
I've been kind of wavering back and forth on whether I want to spend on watercooling or a monitor first, but that Acer is definitely tempting. I have some items I am currently selling to replace the money I spent on my build so I guess I'll go ahead and bookmark that display for later reference. Thanks Guys!

Latest posts