Best 16GB of RAM?

Spartin503

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
I am looking for high quality RAM, either 2x8GB or 4x4GB and since I have a 3770k so I was looking for some RAM some where between 1866MHz and 2133MHz.

Shockeray

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
The highest quality RAM are not in the high MHz level. and remember, the advantage of 2133 over 1600 will only be a max of 3FPS better, but most the time you will not be able to see the difference, so the best RAM - considering price - would probably be a low CL 1600MHz 16Gb kit.

4 x 4 vs 2 x 8 - Neither is any bit better than the other, so go for the cheaper.

I would say that if you are willing to spend the money, go for...
G.SKILL Trident X Series 16Gb 1600MHz CL7 ($160)

But that isn't going to be much better than this either of these...
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16Gb 1600MHz CL9 ($120)
G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16Gb 1600MHz CL9 ($120)

Shockeray

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
The fist number in your RAM timing is your CAS Latency, or CL. It is the one that determines the speed that information can be retrieved from the RAM in clock cycles - of course, if you double your speed (800MHz to1600MHz) but half your CL (CL 6 to CL 12 [half speed is a number twice as big]) your RAM is going to retrieve information just as fast. But as your MHz goes up, you also get more bandwidth (not really sure why).

If you have a really stable 1600MHz RAM card and overclock it to 1866 or 2133, you have to bring the CL up so that it doesn't burn out your card, thus OCing RAM doesn't make it faster, it giver you more bandwidth.

Spartin503

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
I get that having faster RAM and higher latancy doesn't make it slower, but for running a server, is it important to have more bandwidth?

Shockeray

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
I'm not that knowledgeable about server RAM. I know that NewEgg has it in an entirely different category, so that might mean something, I'll do some research and see what I can find.

Shockeray

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
Server ram can be error correcting (ECC) or non-ECC. With the current quality of RAM, ECC is losing ground. The other difference is Registered/buffered RAM. This allows servers to access more ram due to the lower electrical load on the memory controller. Many servers require registered memory but some of the newer servers don't, but even the newer ones can handle more RAM if registered memory is used. Both ECC and registered memory are more expensive than desktop memory.
by: murisonc
The memory in a server is expected to be fast, and is called ECC memory. ECC stands for error correcting code memory. This memory system tests and corrects any errors in memory without the processor or user being aware of it. The error correcting code generates a checksum when data is loaded in memory, and when it unloads, the checksum is recomputed and if an error is detected it is automatically corrected. This ensures that the data passed in the server is correct.

All desktop, laptops, and tower computers use different types of memory classed on their speed and structure. They are known as SDR, DDR, DDR2, etc, and as the personal computer world has seen the personal computers getting faster and faster, the memory speeds have also been enhanced over time.

If you put a high-speed memory in a slow speed processor machine, it will probably burn out and the same rule applies vice versa. The memory speed and the processor speed have to be synchronised to work properly.

In desktop computers, you may have had incidents of a memory chip getting defective, or the computer gives a memory-addressing fault. This never happens in a server machine. Server machines are supposed to be zero-fault tolerance machines. The applications that are supposed to perform cannot afford any downtime.

High-end servers have a very robust architecture, as they are used to perform very specific jobs. Therefore, they are built such that the possibility of a fault occurring is minimised. In case, a fault does occur, the machine will not crash or the application will not stop. Therefore, a proper server machine does have different memory from a non-server machine. Very few people are aware of this, as the environments in which they work don't use high-end servers.
by: police666

Seems to me that if you are planning on using this computer as a server only, you should get the RAM specialized for that...
http://www.newegg.com/Server-Memory/SubCategory/ID-541

If you are going to using it as a web server, I would look at getting a 4x8Gb kit, they're around $300.