Question Best <$1750 laptop?

Sep 12, 2019
So I'm going to college/university and need a laptop for portability. My desktop has dated specs so I'm planning on spending up to £1750 (about the same USD) on a good laptop that I can hook up to a 1080p external monitor and use as a desktop with 2 screens (including laptop screen). I mainly just multi-task, streaming music or watching YouTube/movies on one screen while I work on the other so obviously a good CPU and RAM are needed. Also a nice QHD or 4K screen would be ideal for movies but not a deal-breaker. I also need a good battery that can last up to about 10 hours, so that seems to rule out all gaming laptops. Screen size doesn't really matter to me.

I've looked at the new Dell XPS 13 but the integrated GPU puts me off, since I wonder if it'll struggle to output to 2 screens and the gaming performance seems awful - not that I'm fussed about gaming, but it would be nice to know I could at least play some on low settings.

Also the XPS 15 appears to have serious overheating issues due to the chassis that prevent the CPU from even reaching base speeds, sticking at as low as 1.4GHz when it's supposed to boost to up to 4.5 (Shown in video: )
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arw1ckItBvs
This seems like a frustratingly pointless waste of good specs imo and ruins what would otherwise be a perfect laptop for me but whatever.

Any suggestions on what I should pick up?

So I'm going to college/university and need a laptop for portability. My desktop has dated specs so I'm planning on spending up to £1750 (about the same USD) on a good laptop that I can hook up to a 1080p external monitor and use as a desktop with 2 screens (including laptop screen). I mainly just multi-task, streaming music or watching YouTube/movies on one screen while I work on the other so obviously a good CPU and RAM are needed. Also a nice QHD or 4K screen would be ideal for movies but not a deal-breaker. I also need a good battery that can last up to about 10 hours, so that seems to rule out all gaming laptops. Screen size doesn't really matter to me.

I've looked at the new Dell XPS 13 but the integrated GPU puts me off, since I wonder if it'll struggle to output to 2 screens and the gaming performance seems awful - not that I'm fussed about gaming, but it would be nice to know I could at least play some on low settings.

Also the XPS 15 appears to have serious overheating issues due to the chassis that prevent the CPU from even reaching base speeds, sticking at as low as 1.4GHz when it's supposed to boost to up to 4.5 (Shown in video: )
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arw1ckItBvs
This seems like a frustratingly pointless waste of good specs imo and ruins what would otherwise be a perfect laptop for me but whatever.

Any suggestions on what I should pick up?
MacBook Pro?

However would suggest you just build a desktop and get a cheaper laptop if you need a portable system.