Best 24"-27" monitor for graphic design (print media) under £300/$450

yifesyuju

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015
Hello, everybody.

My girlfriend is a graphic design student and she works mainly with print media (digital media to a lesser extent), so colour accuracy is very important. Can you please help us select a monitor? I've used the monitor advice template as suggested in other threads:

• ■ Approximate Purchase Date: This month, the sooner the better.
    ■ Budget Range: £200-£300 ($225-$450) after rebates.
    ■ Monitor Usage from Most to Least Important: Graphic design, surfing the internet, watching movies
    ■ Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference for this purchase, but I tend to use Amazon.co.uk
    ■ Country of Origin: Don't mind, as long as it's sold in the UK
    ■ Brand Preferences: I'm very satisfied with Dell products
    ■ Physical Size (Diagonal): Between 24" and 27"
    ■ Resolution(s) You'll Consider: At least 1920x1200 for a 24" monitor; the bigger the monitor, the higher the resolution must be.
    ■ Computers and Other Devices To Attach: 1 laptop (DisplayPort, HDMI)
    ■ Panel Type(s) Desired: IPS seems to be the best for graphic design work
    ■ LED Backlight: I don't know about this.
    ■ Speakers: Indifferent
    ■ Wall-Mount: Indifferent
    ■ Stand Functions: Height and tilt adjustment.
    ■ Additional Comments: Colour accuracy is very important.

Based on my research, the following parameters are required: Pixel pitch no greater than 0.27mm, static contrast ratio of 1000:1 and response time of up to 8ms (gray-to-gray). Have I missed anything?

Now, I am very confused because I've found many monitors that meet these requirements, but the price difference is huge: The cheapest would cost £126 and the most expensive would cost £289. We'd rather pay more for higher quality, but if two monitors would perform equally, we'd go for the cheaper one.

So far, the main candidate is Dell U2515H because it's the biggest and has the best Pixel Pitch, but I know that the Eizo and NEC brands are well regarded among graphic professionals. The other candidates seem to offer exactly the same (as per the parameters above), but some offer a refresh rate less than 8ms (which isn't critical for static graphic work):

We'll be grateful for any advice you can provide us with!