Best 24 inch or 27 inch Monitor for Gaming and Watching Movies - $400 Budget

jimit_40000

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016
I’m looking for a gaming monitor under $400. It needs to be a 24-inch or 27-inch monitor. I plan on using this monitor for gaming, but also for watching movies. I like the LG 24-GM77 monitor, but is it good for watching movies? If it's not, do you have any other suggestions within my price range?

BigB123

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
In my opinion, the best monitor that is 24" would be the ASUS VG248QE. Its a bit pricey (Goes around $250) but its also great for gaming given it has a 1ms response time and is also 144Hz. By what I have read the color needs a bit of tuning out of the box, but besides that its an awesome monitor. Its also within your budget which is great for you!

Here is a link below for it if you are interested at all!
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vg248qe

jimit_40000

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016
In my opinion, the best monitor that is 24" would be the ASUS VG248QE. Its a bit pricey (Goes around $250) but its also great for gaming given it has a 1ms response time and is also 144Hz. By what I have read the color needs a bit of tuning out of the box, but besides that its an awesome monitor. Its also within your budget which is great for you!

Here is a link below for it if you are interested at all!
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vg248qe

Thanks for your reply. I already go through this monitor. I know LG 24gm77 and asua vg248qe both are amazing gaming monitor. But think is that which one has better color production? Becoz besides gaming I also use this for watching movies. So can u suggest me between LG 24gm77, Asus vg248qe and LG 27mp77.? Considering gaming and watching movies?

Captainawzome

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
In my opinion, I would go with two $200 dollar 20-25 inch monitors. Having two monitors is always an advantage, because if you are in game and want to search up or download something, all you have to do is drag your mouse to the other monitor. You also will have more space for shortcuts, and if ya really want; you will be able to watch movies and game at the same time :). If I were you, I would go with two monitors. There are many such advantages to doing this, such as being able to have one tab on each side, instead of having to switch tabs every few seconds. If you are going to be multitasking, wether for work or school, 2 monitors will greatly increase your productivity. If you use Twitch, Skype, or Teamspeak in game, you will be able to quickly join a call, or chat.

jimit_40000

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016

Nice thought. But I have low on space to accommodate two monitors.

Captainawzome

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

There are wall mounts you can pick up for $20-$50

jimit_40000

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016
In my opinion, I would go with two $200 dollar 20-25 inch monitors. Having two monitors is always an advantage, because if you are in game and want to search up or download something, all you have to do is drag your mouse to the other monitor. You also will have more space for shortcuts, and if ya really want; you will be able to watch movies and game at the same time :) . If I were you, I would go with two monitors. There are many such advantages to doing this, such as being able to have one tab on each side, instead of having to switch tabs every few seconds. If you are going to be multitasking, wether for work or school, 2 monitors will greatly increase your productivity. If you use Twitch, Skype, or Teamspeak in game, you will be able to quickly join a call, or chat.

Nice thought. But I have low on space to accommodate two monitors.

So can I go for LG 24gm77 and other cheap monitor?

Captainawzome

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

The LG 24gm77 isn't a very good monitor. It's ugly, and dosen't have better performance. I would instead buy 2 LG 25UM57's. Two of these babies will look and perform great toegether. It will only cost you $300 in total for 2.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025255&cm_re=24_inch_monitor_60hz-_-24-025-255-_-Product

I'd go completely the opposite way and go for a 27 inch screen if its also for movie/video watching - the difference between a 24 & 27 inch panel size wise is massive.

Ignore manufacturers response times - they are not accurate at all,the asus actually hits about 8ms under proper testing, the lg27 inch runs 12-14ms.

They're both entirely respectable for gaming unless your a ultra competitive twitch gamer - by the very nature of ips screens you will never see response times advertised as less than 5ms & in real world terms not less than 10 ms.

Way way way too much made of response times when it comes to the average gamer/user.

Captainawzome

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

The larger the monitor, the more the framerate drops... If he has a decent GPU then I would also reccomend a 27 inch, but remember that your framerate will drop.

the 27 inch hes looking at is a 1080p panel so fps will remain exactly the same.

Bigger is better. If you use software to force playback to 24 fps, then a 144 Hz makes sense.

Depending on source, you might not notice much. But on blu rays there are black bars which take up a lot of space in order to playback ultrawide due to the cameras used.

Unfortunately we don't have enough information in order to give you a accurate recommendation.

For movies, all IPS, all PLS, all TN monitors are garbage for movies. Always go with a VA panel for movie watching.

Due to the inexperienced and or biased/paid reviewers, VA hasn't been prioritized, because the manufacturers focus on where the majority of consumers are buying.

VA monitors have almost completely caught up with the IPS panels viewing angles. They have a higher contrast, and better uniformity than consumer IPS panels. Funny how no reviewer is mentioning that?

The entire display market is upside down. But, regardless. A fun fact is that consumers are regretting buying too small monitors. Worth considering a 27", its actually better for both movies and games.

A lot of people talk about PPI as if it was the law. So many people argue that they can see the pixel structure, but nobody has ever posted any proof of it.

My main monitor is a 32" LCD. I can't see any screen door effect or moire, 2 feet away. My 21 ( or 23") monitor at the same distance actually is less sharp, from the same distance. Both are IPS. I'm saying that, because a lot of people seriously thinks that all IPS are equal, all TN are equal, and all VA are equal. It's crazy to see how uneducated on the subject the majority are.

All the best! :)

I've just realised none if us have asked what your actual setup is.what components , CPU/GPU are you running ??

What type of games do you mainly play??
What the split on use between gaming & movie watching ?? 50/50 or more for gaming with the odd video.

Captainawzome

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

Yes, please share your system specs so we may help further and suggest a reasonable monitor that won't wear your GPU out.

jimit_40000

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016
Yes, please share your system specs so we may help further and suggest a reasonable monitor that won't wear your GPU out.

Sorry guys for late reply. I am little bit busy. I use lenovo z51 series laptop. The specs are:

Intel i5 5th generation
8gb RAM
AMD tropo XT2 DDR3 4 GB (AMD R9 SERIES)

jimit_40000

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016
Which r9 mate ??

If you're not sure gpu-z will tell you.

Anything less than a 290/390 it will be pointless going with more than a 60htz 1080p screen - there will be no benefit.

Lenovo site shows AMD R9 M375

BigB123

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014

He has a laptop so he couldn't have a 290/390. But with a laptop, why do you want to have a second monitor? I understand though if you just want a bigger screen, with a better refresh rate.

jimit_40000

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016
He has a laptop so he couldn't have a 290/390. But with a laptop, why do you want to have a second monitor? I understand though if you just want a bigger screen, with a better refresh rate.

So with my laptop can I reach to 144hz? And the laptop screen is too small, so I want bigger and better .

Ho with the lg 27 inch mate - if movies are important then that extra screen size & the IPS panel quality will suit you well.

For gaming with your onboard r9 graphics it is also plenty good enough - absolutely pointless going with a expensive 24inch 'gaming' monitor.

jimit_40000

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016
Ho with the lg 27 inch mate - if movies are important then that extra screen size & the IPS panel quality will suit you well.

For gaming with your onboard r9 graphics it is also plenty good enough - absolutely pointless going with a expensive 24inch 'gaming' monitor.

You are right but for a gaming I use at a distance like 1 to 2 feet away from monitor and on a 27 inch display with 1080p (full HD ) resolution and sitting only 1 to 2 feet away from monitor the display doesn't look crisp I guess and somewhere I read the pixles with that distance are blurr.

BigB123

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014

Well the only way you can push out 144Hz is with DisplayPort, most laptops dont have it and HDMI caps at 60Hz. There really is no difference besides 144Hz helps prevent screen tearing. So if your laptop has DisplayPort you can have a 144Hz monitor and actually benefit from it, if you only have HDMI there is no point in getting a 144Hz because you wouldn't be able to get the most out of it.

So if you do have your heart set on getting a monitor, i would go for just a 24" 60Hz