Question Best 240hz gaming monitor

sebastianhadas

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
Hello, right now I am stuck between three monitors, the Asus pg258q, xg248q (latest release) and finally the Alienware aw2518h. I am curious to know if g-sync compatible free-sync on the xg248q has the same quality and reliability as g-sync on the other two moniutors. In addition I don't really care about aesthetics, I am just looking for a monitor that has the best performance for competitive gaming. Finally, I heard that the xg248q has bad picture quality, if anyone can clarify on that subject it would be greatly appreciated. thank you for your help!!

Honestly, those monitors probably all have the same panel made by AU Optronics. So there wont be a much of a difference. I would save some money and go with the XG248Q because it is a free sync certified monitor. Especially since it is certified by Nvidia. You wont notice a difference between it and a gsync monitor.

What CPU to you have? You are going to need a very fast Intel CPU (8600k or better) to really take advantage of the 240hz. Especially if you are going to use adaptive refresh (freesycn/gsync) cause that will lower your refresh rate to what your CPU can push. And 240hz is a lot of frames, even for good CPUs.

I have a cheap Acer 240hz panel as a secondary monitor on my gaming rig and even a 8700k wont push 240fps in a lot of modern AAA games. Older games like CSGO will be fine though.

sebastianhadas

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
Honestly, those monitors probably all have the same panel made by AU Optronics. So there wont be a much of a difference. I would save some money and go with the XG248Q because it is a free sync certified monitor. Especially since it is certified by Nvidia. You wont notice a difference between it and a gsync monitor.

What CPU to you have? You are going to need a very fast Intel CPU (8600k or better) to really take advantage of the 240hz. Especially if you are going to use adaptive refresh (freesycn/gsync) cause that will lower your refresh rate to what your CPU can push. And 240hz is a lot of frames, even for good CPUs.

I have a cheap Acer 240hz panel as a secondary monitor on my gaming rig and even a 8700k wont push 240fps in a lot of modern AAA games. Older games like CSGO will be fine though.

I thought the panel on the xg248q, was made by innolux but I could be wrong, next off my cpu is the ryzen 5 1600x. in addition, I thought that g-ysnc and freesync were good for games that constantly have varing refresh rates from 240 to 50. And, thx for the fast response.

You are not gonna get 240fps on modern AAA games with a 1600x. Not that it is a bad CPU, but it just wont be able to do that. Now if you want it for CSGO, then yes it will be fine. But dont expect 240fps on BFV or Call of Duty. I would recommend a 144hz 1080p monitor for those games with your system.

Gsync/freesync matches your monitor refresh rate to your fps output of your GPU with little lag. So if your GPU is pushing 90fps, you monitor refresh rate will run at 90hz. As the fps moves up and down, so does your monitor refresh rate. What that means for gaming is there is no screen tearing. So your games look very smooth. Screen tearing is more noticeable at lower fps, so when you get to +100fps, it is pretty smooth without gsync/freesync. And that is the advantage, at lower fps, your games still look very smooth. For a 240hz monitor, you should be shooting for high fps for highly competitive games. Gsync/freesync will create some lag, even though less than vsync and most competitive gamers would not use it.