SupaDupaUgandas

Prominent
Oct 18, 2019
I'm going to buy a 280mm AIO but i don't know what's the best option on the market right now. I was also looking at one that is refillable so it can live longer.

Any ideas?

Solution
Funny enough, the BeQuiet Silent Loop aios are coming out soon. They seem pretty good, and Kyle from Bitwit had benchmarked it and the thermals are pretty good. It's refillable, so that's the main reason I would recommend that you could get it.

However, if you did want to sacrifice your refillability, you could choose from things like the Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 line, and the EK aios. They are really good aios, and are actually reasonably priced unlike cough asus, corsair, nzxt cough cough

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Funny enough, the BeQuiet Silent Loop aios are coming out soon. They seem pretty good, and Kyle from Bitwit had benchmarked it and the thermals are pretty good. It's refillable, so that's the main reason I would recommend that you could get it.

However, if you did want to sacrifice your refillability, you could choose from things like the Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 line, and the EK aios. They are really good aios, and are actually reasonably priced unlike cough asus, corsair, nzxt cough cough

Reactions: SupaDupaUgandas
Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A refillable one doesn't really last longer; the pump is still finite, and once it fails, the whole thing is useless - save for the fans.
On top of that, if it's a mixed metal cooler - which the majority of them are copper cold plate and aluminum radiator - corrosion is a matter of time, and you'll have to toss the thing out anyway.

It(refillable) is not a necessity; it may be more convenient, and cheaper to just toss it out when it's time and buy another.
That's kind of the whole point of hybrid coolers: the cheap and easy alternative to custom liquid, but it can't touch the latter at all on cooling potential and noise production(low).

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
In terms of custom watercooling pumps, I still have my original DDC's and D5's that I ran daily for years and years - they still work today. One D5 I ran easily for about 7 years on a daily basis....sometimes 24/7 operation.

AIO pumps are smaller, less powerful and made just for the life of the AIO, which often a complete AIO cooler costs as much or less than a quality watercooling pump. I think my current D5 (w/reservoir) was about $150 on it's own. (looks like a bit more right now)

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xres-140-revo-d5-rgb-pwm-incl-sl-pump

SupaDupaUgandas

Prominent
Oct 18, 2019

Yeah it sounds pretty good so it's definitely a consideration

SupaDupaUgandas

Prominent
Oct 18, 2019
A refillable one doesn't really last longer; the pump is still finite, and once it fails, the whole thing is useless - save for the fans.
On top of that, if it's a mixed metal cooler - which the majority of them are copper cold plate and aluminum radiator - corrosion is a matter of time, and you'll have to toss the thing out anyway.

It(refillable) is not a necessity; it may be more convenient, and cheaper to just toss it out when it's time and buy another.
That's kind of the whole point of hybrid coolers: the cheap and easy alternative to custom liquid, but it can't touch the latter at all on cooling potential and noise production(low).
Yeah i just think that it would be nice and of course you need a new AIO after some years but getting new coolant in would make it a little better than still having the same coolant in from day 1

SupaDupaUgandas

Prominent
Oct 18, 2019
In terms of custom watercooling pumps, I still have my original DDC's and D5's that I ran daily for years and years - they still work today. One D5 I ran easily for about 7 years on a daily basis....sometimes 24/7 operation.

AIO pumps are smaller, less powerful and made just for the life of the AIO, which often a complete AIO cooler costs as much or less than a quality watercooling pump. I think my current D5 (w/reservoir) was about $150 on it's own. (looks like a bit more right now)

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xres-140-revo-d5-rgb-pwm-incl-sl-pump
Yeah it looks good and tbh i would also like to get custom watercooling, I just think that I'm a little too scared to do it :sweatsmile:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah i just think that it would be nice and of course you need a new AIO after some years but getting new coolant in would make it a little better than still having the same coolant in from day 1
More often than not, the pumps break before low fluid levels and expiration of biocides + corrosion inhibitors become a problem.

This may be helpful:

Custom liquid
+Greater cooling potential Vs hybrid.
+Lowest possible noise production, besides fanless, at least.
+More powerful, and higher quality pump Vs hybrid.
-Expensive.
-High maintenance. [This one is what ultimately turns away most of the people who take an interest in custom liquid.]
-Requires much planning in advance. You really can't jump in this blind, or expect to just ask a few questions and be ready to go.

Hybrid cooling
+More affordable than custom.
+Low maintenance. Pretty much set it and forget it, until the pump dies, after which you toss it out, but keep the working fans, and buy another cooler.
+Not much planning required. Know what sizes the chassis supports and the kind of heat loads being dealt with.
-Cooling potential isn't as good as custom.
-Louder than custom, even the models marketed for low noise.
-Pump is weaker, and not as well built Vs custom.

SupaDupaUgandas

Prominent
Oct 18, 2019
I have a PureLoop which will be coming out soon as part of the release for the be quiet! line. There's also a brand new EKWB AIO with improved pump which I'm supposed to get a test sample within days for an upcoming release.
Sound nice and i think i will go for an AIO instead because of me not being that good when it comes to pc building

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I just covered the new EK AIO Elite yesterday - I think it's the first AIO that comes with 6 fans (360mm) to run push+pull out of the box.

It looks damn nice, too. The review should be out within the next day or so, depending on how editorial decides to list it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@gat3keeper
They are largely the same between brands; very little diversity beyond that. Pretty dull, IMO.
The greatest differences will be the fans, aesthetic accents, and whether or not software is required to run them.

NZXT and Corsair: OEM is either Asetek or Coolit, and the most recent models require software to run them.
Cooler Master: In-house design and doesn't require software to operate the unit.
Thermaltake: The latest models are Asetek. Doesn't require software.
Arctic: In-house design, no software required.
Fractal Design: The latest models are Asetek. No software required.
Lian Li: I was unable to determine if in-house design or OEM. No software necessary.
Asus: Asetek. No software either, from the looks of it.
EK: In-house design. No software.

Reactions: gat3keeper

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Arctic Liquid Freezer II line is still very good and they are built to a different standard than most other AIOs I have handled. They use thicker radiators and just feel like they are constructed better overall.

A lot of AIOs are relatively lightweight but EK and Arctic versions have a good deal of heft to them.

Reactions: Zerk2012

gat3keeper

Reputable
Mar 5, 2017
@gat3keeper
They are largely the same between brands; very little diversity beyond that. Pretty dull, IMO.
The greatest differences will be the fans, aesthetic accents, and whether or not software is required to run them.

NZXT and Corsair: OEM is either Asetek or Coolit, and the most recent models require software to run them.
Cooler Master: In-house design and doesn't require software to operate the unit.
Thermaltake: The latest models are Asetek. Doesn't require software.
Arctic: In-house design, no software required.
Fractal Design: The latest models are Asetek. No software required.
Lian Li: I was unable to determine if in-house design or OEM. No software necessary.
Asus: Asetek. No software either, from the looks of it.
EK: In-house design. No software.

Wow.. very informative.

Requiring a software to run it.. is it good or bad? So meaning... on my first time I turn on my PC with NZXT (recent model), the AIO is not running or at least on their 100% until I install the software?

EK and Arctic is out of the question in my area unfortunately. Its more expensive or at least same price with brands like NZXT / Corsair. What is bang for the buck AIO brand if there's any ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Requiring a software to run it.. is it good or bad?
Depends on your POV.
Some will say it's not that big a deal.
Me? I call bull. Software shouldn't be mandatory to control it; other models can be controlled just fine from bios. Plus, the fewer software apps we have running in our PCs, the smoother they'll operate.

on my first time I turn on my PC with NZXT (recent model), the AIO is not running or at least on their 100% until I install the software?
It's running, but you can't control it.

EK and Arctic is out of the question in my area unfortunately. Its more expensive or at least same price with brands like NZXT / Corsair. What is bang for the buck AIO brand if there's any ?
Wow. That sucks, because I think in most regions, Arctic is the BFB brand...
Ok, since Arctic is out of the question...
be quiet! just entered the market with their Pure Loop.
Fractal Design, NZXT, and Corsair are all largely the same since they use the same OEMs... so pick one of those based on looks - though Fractal gets a plus in my book, because it doesn't require software.

EDIT:
@gat3keeper
Sorry, I'd confused you with the OP.
If Arctic is a no-no, and you're not specifically looking for a 280mm like the OP, Cooler Master has good prices, but they also have their share of junk.
The good one: Masterliquid MLxxxR

Last edited:
Reactions: gat3keeper