Question Best 2TB HDD WD or Toshiba?

Jun 26, 2022
I Have a 6 Years Old Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD. That has been Running Slowly from few days. At first I thought there was a problem at SATA port so I changed the SATA port but the speed did not increase. Then I scanned with a software and saw showing Health Bad and Reallocated Sector Count in Red Circle. According to the information obtained from the internet, this HDD will not last long and will be ruined. Is this right that this HDD is Dying.?

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
I Have a 6 Years Old Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD. That has been Running Slowly from few days. At first I thought there was a problem at SATA port so I changed the SATA port but the speed did not increase. Then I scanned with a software and saw showing Health Bad and Reallocated Sector Count in Red Circle. According to the information obtained from the internet, this HDD will not last long and will be ruined. Is this right that this HDD is Dying.?

If the HDD has had physical signs of failure in addition to the results of a scan, it is extremely likely that the HDD is dying. It is extremely rare for this to be reversible.

Best bet grab any data you need. If you’ve got another drive of the same size or larger and are familiar with Linux, I think the command is dd that will allow you clone a drive. I’ve used it in the parted magic os before. I’ve actually had it clone a dying drive and the new drive have most of the data, because you can set it to ignore read errors while it copies. Either way you want to get your data from your drive NOW and replace it.

Is There Any Way to Repair Bad Sector From HDD??
No, once a drive shows a signs of failure there isn't fixing it, As suggested, move data off it and replace before it does completely fail. Its a mechanical part, they fail, thats why its a good idea to replace a HDD around the 5 to 7 year mark for consumers, Yes they can last longer and I've seen them last a lot longer, but once they start to slow down or show bad sectors, there isn't much you can do but replace it.

Reactions: M.Saikat
WD Purple are specifically for surveillance security systems with continued writes but not fast enough for data usage. Better option for on/offline backup and NAS usage is WD Red. For speed, there's Black line but as I said before Blue line is best for normal usage as an onboard HDD for various usage.

Jun 26, 2022
Can you show screenshot from HDtune health?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
If the HDD has had physical signs of failure in addition to the results of a scan, it is extremely likely that the HDD is dying. It is extremely rare for this to be reversible.
No, once a drive shows a signs of failure there isn't fixing it, As suggested, move data off it and replace before it does completely fail. Its a mechanical part, they fail, thats why its a good idea to replace a HDD around the 5 to 7 year mark for consumers, Yes they can last longer and I've seen them last a lot longer, but once they start to slow down or show bad sectors, there isn't much you can do but replace it.
WD Purple are specifically for surveillance security systems with continued writes but not fast enough for data usage. Better option for on/offline backup and NAS usage is WD Red. For speed, there's Black line but as I said before Blue line is best for normal usage as an onboard HDD for various usage.
Screenshot-24.png

Screenshot-19.png

Jun 26, 2022
I Am Going to Buy a New 2TB HDD. Which 2TB HDD Will Be Good For Performance, Storing Photos & Videos, Data Transfer Speed, Bigger Files/Folders. And has Lower Failure Rate & has More Lifespan( 10 Years or More ).??

My Choises Are This 2TB HDDS - WD Blue 2TB WD20EZRZ / WD20AZRZ, WD Purple 2TB Surveillance WD20PURZ, Toshiba S300 2TB Surveillance HDWT720UZSVA, Toshiba P300 2TB.

Which 2TB HDD Will Be Good For My Requirements??

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022
Yes. It has failed. All spare sectors have been exhausted and there are still 264 pending sectors.
Replace ASAP.

Some data will not be recoverable.
I Will Buy a New 2TB HDD. Which 2TB HDD Will Be Good For Performance, Storing Photos & Videos, Data Transfer Speed, Bigger Files/Folders. And has Lower Failure Rate & has More Lifespan( 10 Years or More ).??

My Choises Are This 2TB HDDS - WD Blue 2TB WD20EZRZ / WD20AZRZ, WD Purple 2TB Surveillance WD20PURZ, Toshiba S300 2TB Surveillance HDWT720UZSVA, Toshiba P300 2TB.
Is Any of This 4 2TB HDD Are Good For My Requirements..?

I Am Going to Buy a New 2TB HDD. Which 2TB HDD Will Be Good For Performance, Storing Photos & Videos, Data Transfer Speed, Bigger Files/Folders. And has Lower Failure Rate & has More Lifespan( 10 Years or More ).??

Only lifespan guarantee is the one manufacturer provides but the way things are,, in 10 years you are either going to need a bigger one or switch to SSD. Although I have some older than that that are still 100% i wouldn't count on them for 10 years.
For PC usage "Surveillance" ones are not best choice and don't meet your requirements anyway.
From my experience WD Blue 2TB WD20EZRZ would be best choice.

Jun 26, 2022
WD Red or purple. Make sure it is not SMR.

For example WD20EZAZ is SMR. I'd avoid that.
Thanks "SkyNetRising"...

Only lifespan guarantee is the one manufacturer provides but the way things are,, in 10 years you are either going to need a bigger one or switch to SSD. Although I have some older than that that are still 100% i wouldn't count on them for 10 years.
For PC usage "Surveillance" ones are not best choice and don't meet your requirements anyway.
Thanks "CountMike". He Sayed That WD Blue 2TB WD20EZRZ Will Be Good For My Requirements. And "Surveillance HDDs" Are Not Good For My Requirements. And In My Country WD Red 2TB Is SMR And They Are Also Out of Stock From The Stores.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022
Thanks For Your Help.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hdds are a physical drive. If you think of them as being built like having 5 or 6 vinyl records stacked one on top of each other with space for a needle arm between each, you'd be close. They'll last a good long while with normal use, but once a record is scratched, it's scratched, there's no repairing it, all you can do is skip over that section of the song. Get a big enough scratch and it'll bounce the needle hard enough to send it flying in the wrong direction, creating more scratches, up until the point the record is trashed, useless, and the once good song is now just squeals and corrupted notes.

WD was smart enough to color differentiate their models. Greens are for slower, long term little use larger files. Reds are built for NAS, Purple are built for 24/7 power on constant low usage, Blues are general purpose, Black's are high performance (gaming), Golds are the Black version of Purple. Each is built with slightly different strengths in mind. For a standard usage pc, Blue or Black is recommended, that's where their strengths are built for, higher speed, data storage, intermediate read/writes usage.