Question Best 2TB HDD WD or Toshiba?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 26, 2022
I Have a 6 Years Old Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD. That has been Running Slowly from few days. At first I thought there was a problem at SATA port so I changed the SATA port but the speed did not increase. Then I scanned with a software and saw showing Health Bad and Reallocated Sector Count in Red Circle. According to the information obtained from the internet, this HDD will not last long and will be ruined. Is this right that this HDD is Dying.?

Last edited:

KyaraM

Admirable
I use the Seagate Barracuda for ages now. I don't think there are many differences, though I wonder why you are wanting to use plates that are made for surveilance systems. That's unnecessary unless you really want to run them 24/7. Honestly, the most important thing is that it spins with at least 7200rpm since that's what decides speed the most.

USAFRet

Titan
And has Lower Failure Rate & has More Lifespan( 10 Years or More ).??
There is no definitive "best".

Apart from a couple of weird outliers, fail rate are pretty similar across all manufacturers and models.
And that fail rate only applies to fleetwide statistics.
Says nothing about the single drive on YOUR desk.

There is no drive you can buy where the single device YOU have is guaranteed to last "10 Years or More".
The only thing you get is a free replacement if it dies within the manufacturers warranty period.

Keep good backups.

Reactions: KyaraM
Jun 26, 2022
Thanks All. For Help And Suggestions,

My Old HDD is Dying And It's Has My Important Data, Photos, Videos, And Many Others. I Used It's 800GB+ Space of 1TB. I am Wanting A Long Running HDD For Good Performance So I Can backup My All Data to New HDD. As far as the whole conversation is going. now telling Me That You Can't Get Long Running HDD for 10 or More Years. And From Suggestions There Is Three HDD Suggested For Me - WD Blue 2TB, WD Purple 2TB or WD Black 2TB. But in My Country WD Blue and Purple are Available. Black is Not Available in my Country. There is Only Last Thing i am Asking is WD Blue or Purple Which One is Good in this two Hard Disk Drive.??

Thank You All For Your Help And Suggetions.

Jun 26, 2022
I have hard drives that are near 20 years old, still working.
I've had other drives that died at 5 weeks or 7 months.

All drives die.
Some sooner than others.
Keep good backups.
I have hard drives that are near 20 years old, still working.
I've had other drives that died at 5 weeks or 7 months.

All drives die.
Some sooner than others.
Keep good backups.
Which Drive You have That Has Running Over 20 Years..?

USAFRet

Titan
Which Drive You have That Has Running Over 20 Years..?
250GB something, 13 years (2009)...I'd have to open the laptop to find out
2GB something, 1999 era...again, I'd have to open up the ancient laptop to find out.

and I am not motivated enough to do that.

But it does not matter.
Another drive that came off the assembly line right after one of those may have died within the first month.

Dead drives:
5 week old 3TB WD. Its replacement is still running fine, 6 years later.
7 month old Toshiba Enterprise 16TB. Died Dec 2021. Replacement still running fine.

As said, there is no singular "best".

Reactions: KyaraM and M.Saikat
Jun 26, 2022
I Want a Drive That Will Not Die Quickly. At Least it will Live Minimum of 8-9 Years.
in Other Threads, Websites and Forums About Topic of Which HDD has Long Life? There Are No One Can Say Which Drive has Longer Life. All are saying WD, Seagate Baraccuda They Are Dying in Less Then 1 year. or at most 1-2 years. even anyone can't tell a drive that will run at least for 5-6 years. If i Found That WD and Seagate's HDD Are has Less failure rate Then I Will Buy This two Brand's HDD. Till Then i Think Toshiba is Better From All Others.

KyaraM

Admirable
I Want a Drive That Will Not Die Quickly. At Least it will Live Minimum of 8-9 Years.
in Other Threads, Websites and Forums About Topic of Which HDD has Long Life? There Are No One Can Say Which Drive has Longer Life. All are saying WD, Seagate Baraccuda They Are Dying in Less Then 1 year. or at most 1-2 years. even anyone can't tell a drive that will run at least for 5-6 years. If i Found That WD and Seagate's HDD Are has Less failure rate Then I Will Buy This two Brand's HDD. Till Then i Think Toshiba is Better From All Others.
The thing about the Barracuda is utter bull. I have one running in my old computer for 6 years now, until earlier this year it ran every day for 4+ hours. It's still alive and kicking and healthy. I got an even older one that is also still very much alive. I think there was, a long time ago, a time when Barracudas were more prone to failure; but that hasn'tbeen the case for over 10 years now. Again, failure rate, especially in private PCs that run a limited time a day, is pretty much insignificant for any manufacturer and no matter who you pick, failure is always possible even if the drive is brand new and even in NAS drives meant for 24h operation. There is no 100% safety. But I can say that no Barracuda died on me so far, and my Seagate Ironwolf that actually is running 27/4 in my NAS is still doing so without issue, too. You honestly are overthinking this.

Is Toshiba P300 2TB is CMR..?
Depends on particular model. Some are SMR, some are CMR.
Easiest way to differentiate by buffer size.
Drives with 64MB buffer size - CMR, with 128MB and 256MB buffer - SMR (this applies to Toshiba P300, not necessarily to other manufacturers/drive series).

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022
Depends on particular model. Some are SMR, some are CMR.
Easiest way to differentiate by buffer size. Drives with 64MB buffer size - CMR, with 128MB and 256MB buffer - SMR.

I am getting confused about buying a new HDD, in my country all Toshiba 2TB HDDs are with 128MB Buffer Size. and i am not going to buy Seagate HDDs. Only
Western Digital Purple 5400RPM 2TB Surveillance HDD WD22PURZ and
Western Digital 2TB Blue Desktop HDD WD20EZRZ / WD20AZRZ. has 64 mb buffer Size. is this two drive are SMR..? another
WD Blue WD20EZAZ 2TB is available but it's 256MB buffer size.

Last edited:
I am getting confused about buying a new HDD, in my country all Toshiba 2TB HDDs are with 128MB Buffer Size. and i am not going to buy Seagate HDDs.
Only Western Digital Purple 5400RPM 2TB Surveillance HDD WD22PURZ and
Western Digital 2TB Blue Desktop HDD WD20EZRZ / WD20AZRZ. has 64 mb buffer Size. is this two drive are SMR..?
WD22PURZ -CMR
WD20EZRZ - CMR
WD20AZRZ - can't find such model.

Reactions: M.Saikat

Old Molases

Prominent
May 3, 2021
As per my experience i have seen the brand WD is expanded worldwide. And it is a clear sign that people use WD hard drives for their personal and official use. Western Digital is the most trusted brand and highly recommended by the users.
Yes, i am not denying that we receive most of the hard drive of WD brands for recovering the data. But still people recommends WD due to ease of replacement warranty and customer support.
Hard Drives are very fragile elements any it requires to treated in proper manner. Any mishandling with those devices can lead for data loss.
Is Hard drive failure rates depends on Hard Drive size?
Capacity of 4TB and 6TB hard drives found more vulnerable, with 2.06% and 2.22% failure rate, respectively. And on the other side 3TB and 8TB hard drives were found to be most dependable, with 1.40% and 1.60% failure rates, respectively.
According to blackblaze the WD have the highest failure rate while Toshiba has the lowest. So if you go with the failure rate you can choose Toshiba over WD.
Personally I've never had an issue with WD hard drive, so i have full trust on Western Digital Hard Drive.
I tried to provide you best of my knowledge. I hope you like this.
Tip : Always take backup of your data to avoid data loss !!

Jun 26, 2022
Several people have told you that the purple series is not preferable. You may or may not notice the difference.

Both use CMR technology.

https://cdn.cnetcontent.com/syndica...DUCTBRIEFWESTERNDIGITALWDBLUEPCHDD_source.PDF

https://documents.westerndigital.co...wd-purple-hdd/product-brief-wd-purple-hdd.pdf

As per my experience i have seen the brand WD is expanded worldwide. And it is a clear sign that people use WD hard drives for their personal and official use. Western Digital is the most trusted brand and highly recommended by the users.
Yes, i am not denying that we receive most of the hard drive of WD brands for recovering the data. But still people recommends WD due to ease of replacement warranty and customer support.
Hard Drives are very fragile elements any it requires to treated in proper manner. Any mishandling with those devices can lead for data loss.
Capacity of 4TB and 6TB hard drives found more vulnerable, with 2.06% and 2.22% failure rate, respectively. And on the other side 3TB and 8TB hard drives were found to be most dependable, with 1.40% and 1.60% failure rates, respectively.
According to blackblaze the WD have the highest failure rate while Toshiba has the lowest. So if you go with the failure rate you can choose Toshiba over WD.
Personally I've never had an issue with WD hard drive, so i have full trust on Western Digital Hard Drive.
There are only three HDD option are available for me now. Toshiba V300 is also available but don't know what is it's Recording Technology. and i want a HDD that has more then 6-7 Years of lifespan. Does i Buy WD Purple 2TB Surveillance WD22PURZ..? or WD Blue 2TB WD20EZRZ ..? or Toshiba P300 2TB
HDWD120UZSVA..??

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022
As you have been told, there is no way to be sure of a drive's lifespan.

Period.

Flip a coin. Take your pick.

It may be dead when it arrives or it may last 20 years. You may be lucky or unlucky.
There are only two HDD option are available for me now. because Toshiba P300 2TB is using SMR Technology. Only WD's this two HDDs are available with CMR Technology. Toshiba V300 is also available but don't know what is it's Recording Technology. and i want a HDD that has more then 6-7 Years of lifespan. Does i Buy WD Purple 2TB Surveillance WD22PURZ..? or WD Blue 2TB WD20EZRZ ..?
Sorry, Toshiba P300 2TB HDWD120UZSVA is available. far as i know it has CMR Technology.

Jun 26, 2022
I'd get red or purple instead. They tend to be more resilient than blue line.
As you have been told, there is no way to be sure of a drive's lifespan.

Period.

Flip a coin. Take your pick.

It may be dead when it arrives or it may last 20 years. You may be lucky or unlucky.
Which one i should buy WD Purple 2TB Surveillance WD22PURZ or WD Blue 2TB WD20EZRZ..?