Question Best 2TB HDD WD or Toshiba?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 26, 2022
I Have a 6 Years Old Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD. That has been Running Slowly from few days. At first I thought there was a problem at SATA port so I changed the SATA port but the speed did not increase. Then I scanned with a software and saw showing Health Bad and Reallocated Sector Count in Red Circle. According to the information obtained from the internet, this HDD will not last long and will be ruined. Is this right that this HDD is Dying.?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022
No...not a new thread.

Regarding "lifespan":

Let's look at some representative data, with a drive I have experience with.

16TB Toshiba Enterprise. Model MG08ACA16E

Backblaze stats from 2021 show it at a 0.91% annual fail rate.

Mostly in the middle of all drives there.

If me and 999 of my neighbors bought one of these, 9 of us would have had a dead drive last year.
Myself and 8 others.

The other 991 individuals would have had NO problem.

In my case, all data was recovered from my standard backup routine. Nothing was lost.
(except time it took Toshiba to get me a new one)

Again....do not start a NEW thread on this.
Ok...

Over 70 posts and you still haven't made up your mind.
And now you're going to make another instance of the same topic?

It's Defficult to setup mind in one.
When Everyone is talking about different HDDs.
and Look What Moderator sayed "Honestly, the problem with the thread is that the wrong question is being asked. The original poster is ignoring the actual problem while focusing on the irrelevant one." thats why i am saying to post a new thread.
Honestly, the problem with the thread is that the wrong question is being asked. The original poster is ignoring the actual problem while focusing on the irrelevant one.

The problem isn't hard drive dependability, it's lack of a backup. In this case, with no apparently backup solution in place, two used WD Blue drives, constantly monitored with daily backups, is far preferable for the preservation of long-term data than a single new WD Black drive.

OP, you need to get the idea that your problem is the lifespan of hardware out of your head. That's not your problem. Your problem is the preservation of your data and it's a problem you are completely ignoring. Having one very good quality hard drive and counting on simply moving data to the next very good quality hard drive a decade later is a horrible, terrible, abysmal, awful, solution. Your whole approach to the issue is giving you a high probability of completely losing your data at some point.

USAFRet

Titan
You just need to internalize ONE word....backups

Jun 26, 2022
You just need to internalize ONE word....backups

Ok. i am sending my pc spec. only tell is WD Blue, Black or Purple 2TB.
Processor - Intel Core i3-10100F
Ram - 16 Gb
SSD - Samsung 860 evo 250GB SATAIII
Hard Disk - Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB
Graphics Card - Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650
Motherboard - H410M S2H 10th Gen.
Over 70 posts and you still haven't made up your mind.
And now you're going to make another instance of the same topic?
And if i got my answer then it will be my last reply in this thread about this topic.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ok then i am creating new Thread.
and i sayed many times that lifespan and performance of HDDs are my 2 requirements. So i can't out the lifespan of HDD from my head.

And that's the problem. You're thinking of the wrong thing.

Hard drives are cheap. Data loss is not. Lifespan of HDD doesn't mean data protection. Having backups is data protection.

Because you don't have a proper backup in place, the model of your single drive is basically irrelevant. Without a backup, the only difference is how many years until you have a high chance of losing your data because you did not have a backup. Drive performance only matters when you've already taken care of data protection. You have not done that.

The line of thinking you're obsessed with is going to lose you your data someday and it's very like that this data loss will be forever.

Reactions: KyaraM

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bah. Just buy 2x drives, a Black and a Red. Use the Black for every day usage, it's the fastest read/write of all the drives, so is best performance overall, and has a better than average warranty. Use the Red as backup, weekly, monthly, overnight, whichever.

The Black can be replaced like the Toshiba, at any time, no loss of data since it's already backed up on the Red, which should long outlive the Black due to its infrequent use. If the Red ever goes bad, the Black at any given time can be used as temporary backup, containing all the data same as the Red, until the Red is replaced and cloned.

Have cake, eat it too.

Reactions: KyaraM and M.Saikat