Question best 2tb nvme ssd for both gaming and general windows 11 use performance?

kilo24

Reputable
Jan 31, 2019
i'm looking for the best 2tb nvme ssd for both fast loading times in games and a fast, responsive, fluid experience doing things like file management and web browsing in windows 11

specs:
gpu: zotac rtx 3080 trinity oc (10gb vram)
cpu: core i9 9900k
ram: 2x8gb ddr4 @2666mhz (planning to upgrade to corsair vengeance 3200mhz 2x8gb)
mobo: asrock z390 phantom gaming 4
ssd: WDC WDS100T2G0A-00JH30
hdd (secondary): ST8000NM0055-1RM112
psu: corsair rm850x
cpu cooler: scythe fuma 2 rev. b
display: lg 27gl850

Colif

Win 11 Master
Suppose it has to exist now? Oh well, its not this yet - https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/internal-ssd/990-pro/

are you buying thinking about future or just now? in other words, what pcie version?? 3, 4 or 5?

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-ssds,3891.html

970 Evo plus is still high on lists and its only pcie3 as mainly you can't really tell difference in load speeds between 3 & 5 unless its a really big file, and games aren't really big files, they lots of smaller ones

In six of the nine games we tested, there was only a 2 second difference in load times between an entry-level SATA SSD and the absolute fastest PCIe 4.0 drive.

There's also little difference between different SSD specifications. PCIe 4.0 vs 3.0 provides essentially no benefit in most cases, especially compared to a top-end PCIe 3.0 drive. QLC memory is not slower than TLC for reading game files. Having a DRAM cache is also not important for game loading. The only specification that has some influence is whether the SSD is SATA or PCIe, with SATA being slightly slower, but beyond that, other specs are rather meaningless for gaming.

I have a 1tb 970 Evo Plus, its been fine in win 11. The main difference i noticed between ssd and nvme is start up times. But then the rest of PC was also different so its not an even comparison. 15seconds to windows.

Last edited:

kilo24

Reputable
Jan 31, 2019
2tb 970 evo plus seems to be for me then, since my mobo is only pcie 3.0. the startup time is especially attractive, since with my wd green, it can take 40 whole seconds to boot into windows

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Recently, I had someone try to tell me that changing from a 970 EVO (PCIe 3.0) to a 980 Pro (PCIe 4.0) would cut total boot time in half, because "twice as fast. Simple math".

umm.....no.

marketing is a very powerful thing. the entire pc and gaming industry is built on bigger better faster more. when in reality, most of it makes little to no difference. it's proven over and over, every time they do a blind test.

Reactions: Lafong

Colif

Win 11 Master
Recently, I had someone try to tell me that changing from a 970 EVO (PCIe 3.0) to a 980 Pro (PCIe 4.0) would cut total boot time in half, because "twice as fast. Simple math".
Shame the drive isn't what is slowing boot down, its the PC checking everything else. We had instant boot 40 years ago, we slowly getting back there without having to toss some things along way to achieve it.

USAFRet

Titan
Shame the drive isn't what is slowing boot down, its the PC checking everything else. We had instant boot 40 years ago, we slowly getting back there without having to toss some things along way to achieve it.
My systems are "instant boot".
How?
Simply don't turn it off. Monitors sleep after an hour.

Calculated out, leaving my main system on 24/7 costs me an extra $50/year.
All PCs n the house, total of $100/year.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
the startup time is especially attractive

This also be attractive. You'll benefit DS with your nvme drive when new games start to use it.