best 3-disk setup for personal storage?

derouckkevin

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
Hello! The last couple of weeks, I have read a lot of articles on this forum about my topic, but I still have doubts on what to do with my new hardware:

The hardware I own:
- Intel NUC with 256GB SDD, constantly powered on and accessible via VPN
- 3x WD Red NAS hdd, 4TB each
- USB3 2-bay external hdd-enclosure with options for RAID0/RAID1/JBOD (hot swappable)
- Extra tray for the third hdd

What I want to do with it:
I want to have 1 hdd permanently in the external enclosure. The other 2 disks will be swapped every 2 weeks when I go visit my parents. That way I can store the spare hdd at their house (off-site).

I need the storage on a daily basis. My entire CD, LP and software collection is on it (starting with my Commodore 64) and since I do a lot of photography and filming, the data is still growing every week.

So, I guess these are my best options:

Option 1: RAID1 (needs complete rebuild after swapping)
Option 2: JBOD with scheduled nightly incremental backups (needs full backup after swapping)

What should I do? I tend to choose RAID1, as the rebuild is done automatically, and I don't have to hassle with backups and stuff...

Thanks in advance for all useful tips!

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
"...I tend to choose RAID1, as the rebuild is done automatically, and I don't have to hassle with backups..."
If one or more HDs of that RAID setup fails, you might really wish you had those backups.

derouckkevin

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

Thanks for your reply.
I agree, that would be a perfect solution.
However my parents will never let me have a box at their home, that stays on permanently...
I will have to do the synchronising at my own place.

derouckkevin

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

Thanks for the reply.
Your statement is absolutely true. That is why I'm looking for a solution with a 3rd disk that will be kept off-site, in case of emergency. I'm just not sure what will be the most comfortable way to synchronise everything.

None of those sound like good options since raid simply isn't about backup, it’s about availability.

Can you hook an external caddy to the NAS? If so, get one more 4TB drive, backup to that, and rotate them between on and off site. No rebuilding.

Edit: external as in usb3 or thundebolt. Actually you could hook it to your pc and back up that way.