Feb 13, 2021
I just ordered the Gigabyte Aorus FV43U which is a "43 4K 144Hz QLED Monitor with a VA panel

Looking at other monitors I saw that the considered best 4K 144Hz is the LG 27GN950-B which is a "27 4K 144Hz (Overclockable to 160Hz) Nano IPS Monitor

I know that they are a bit different so I'd like to know if you have used either of them and what's your opinion.

They cost pretty much the same.

Thanks

Solution
"Best" is subjective depending on what qualities you value in a display.

Some qualities:
Refresh Rate
Input Lag
Response Time
Contrast Ratio
Viewing Angles
Adaptive Sync
Light Bleed
HDR

I did a lot of research on best display and settled on the LG CX 48" OLED.

If you are not interested in doing the research, I trust Tim over at Techspot / Hardware Unboxed

i've owned a few and tried many other VA panels and have never been very impressed by any of them.
i've always found a good IPS better in many ways from color % to a much better viewing angle.

@ 3840x2160p i doubt having a 120+Hz display is going to matter at all.
there won't be many games that will be even hitting 120fps no matter what graphics card you may use.

the biggest difference between these two is obviously the size.
43" would be good for a desktop monitor that you can sit back a little bit away from.
27" is much smaller and you would want to be much closer to the screen. too small in my opinion.
and a 27" screen with a 2160p resolution seems a bit of a waste of resolution. you won't notice difference in detail in a space that small between 1440p & 2160p.

@ 4K(3840x2160p) the smallest i would bother with would be 32".
but i would be aiming more towards 42+".

why exactly are you you looking for a high refresh rate 2160p display?
do you have a powerful enough system to even make good use of it?

Reactions: ThunderOne
Feb 13, 2021
i've owned a few and tried many other VA panels and have never been very impressed by any of them.
i've always found a good IPS better in many ways from color % to a much better viewing angle.

@ 3840x2160p i doubt having a 120+Hz display is going to matter at all.
there won't be many games that will be even hitting 120fps no matter what graphics card you may use.

the biggest difference between these two is obviously the size.
43" would be good for a desktop monitor that you can sit back a little bit away from.
27" is much smaller and you would want to be much closer to the screen. too small in my opinion.
and a 27" screen with a 2160p resolution seems a bit of a waste of resolution. you won't notice difference in detail in a space that small between 1440p & 2160p.

@ 4K(3840x2160p) the smallest i would bother with would be 32".
but i would be aiming more towards 42+".

why exactly are you you looking for a high refresh rate 2160p display?
do you have a powerful enough system to even make good use of it?
I'll be playing all kinds of games on it, older games, newer ones... I have a 2080 Ti on my system but I'm planning on getting a 3090/3090 Super if they finally come out.

larsv8

Distinguished
"Best" is subjective depending on what qualities you value in a display.

Some qualities:
Refresh Rate
Input Lag
Response Time
Contrast Ratio
Viewing Angles
Adaptive Sync
Light Bleed
HDR

I did a lot of research on best display and settled on the LG CX 48" OLED.

If you are not interested in doing the research, I trust Tim over at Techspot / Hardware Unboxed

Solution
what's your opinion
settled on the LG CX 48" OLED.
these are actually an awesome option for 4K PC gaming.

120Hz, 1ms response, G-Sync Compatible / Freesync, good HDR, good Atmos sound, OLED panel with great colors & contrast, ...

my 55" CX is great for 16:9 4K gaming.
but most of the games i play i enjoy much more on my 21:9 2K ultra-wide.

i probably would've gone with the LG BX series vs the CX though if i had waited a bit more and seen them available.
much smaller stand, a bit cheaper, and i only need a single HDMI 2.1 port.

Feb 13, 2021
these are actually an awesome option for 4K PC gaming.

120Hz, 1ms response, G-Sync Compatible / Freesync, good HDR, good Atmos sound, OLED panel with great colors & contrast, ...

my 55" CX is great for 16:9 4K gaming.
but most of the games i play i enjoy much more on my 21:9 2K ultra-wide.

i probably would've gone with the LG BX series vs the CX though if i had waited a bit more and seen them available.
much smaller stand, a bit cheaper, and i only need a single HDMI 2.1 port.
I've asked for a return of my FV43U and I think I'll get a LG CX / BX series, you're right, they must be great for 4K Gaming, do you have any other recommendation for me?

Feb 13, 2021
Why did you return the FV43U? I just got mine and love it.
Hi friend,

Don't worry, I've seen everywhere that the FV43U is a phenomenal monitor, I'll get the LG CX series because by spending about 200€ more compared to the FV43U I can benefit from the bigger size, OLED panel instead of QLED and better sound.

I'm reeeally confused with the different LG OLED models here
check and compare the different models on the LG site.

some may have different refresh rates,
different "gamer" modes,
different amounts & different types of input available,
may or may not be HDR, etc.

you need to decide which features you are looking for and narrow them down this way.

Feb 13, 2021
check and compare the different models on the LG site.

some may have different refresh rates,
different "gamer" modes,
different amounts & different types of input available,
may or may not be HDR, etc.

you need to decide which features you are looking for and narrow them down this way.
There are so many I'm all over the place haha

Feb 13, 2021
Well, I should be between the CX and C1 which is basically the updated version, right?

I've read that the CX is a better option although it's older.

I have two options at amazon.es: The CX 55" for 1580€ or the C1 48" for 1200€

I only wonder if the CX 55" would be too big for my desktop as I would need to sit close to it.

The CX 48" is not available though.

Oh my, and now I see the BX 55" available too for 1350€ (Lulz), so many options...

Last edited:

larsv8

Distinguished
One note after reading the thread again.

You need an HDMI 2.1, so your 2080ti will not be able to run this at 4k 120hz. Wait till you get your 3090.

I haven't had any problems with burn in.

I have it on maybe 4 hours a night for gaming, turned off, when not in use. No real static images, so not much risk for burn in.

I also purchased from Best Buy, whose warranty covers burn in as opposed to some of the others, who do not.

Feb 13, 2021
You need an HDMI 2.1, so your 2080ti will not be able to run this at 4k 120hz. Wait till you get your 3090.
Yes, I am aware but thanks for telling me anyway, it's going to be an odysey until a save for a 3090 (That's the gpu I want) or the 3090 Super if finally rumours are true and then, more than one grand for the TV haha

No real static images, so not much risk for burn in.
Don't you ever use it with your gaming PC? I mean with the Windows taskbar, sometimes browsing, etc?

larsv8

Distinguished
Don't you ever use it with your gaming PC? I mean with the Windows taskbar, sometimes browsing, etc?

I generally just fire up games.

Will alt tab out between rounds, etc and do some browsing, but burn in happens when static images stay for hours / days.

The LGs also have some built in safety measures like pixel shift, where every so often the entire screen shifts to the left or to the right ever so slightly, which basically means the image isn't quite as static as you would believe.

What's your burn in experience with the CX?
read the different product desciptions from LG.
the CX actually focuses a lot on anti-burn in features.
the others may also.
wonder if the CX 55" would be too big for my desktop as I would need to sit close to it

if you are using this primarily as a desktop screen and not for couch use with movies, tv, etc
i would be going for 40-48" max.
i used a 40.5" for a couple years and even with it pressed all the way to rear of my rather large desk it still felt a bit too big when just browsing.
now I see the BX 55" available too
if you're only using a single HDMI 2.1 device with it that's the primary difference between CX & BX.
only a single 2.1 port on the BX plus it's much smaller stand will make dekstop use easier.
the CX has a very large closed stand.

Feb 13, 2021
I just ordered the C1!!! 🥳

And a USB Type C adapter to HDMI, so I can benefit from 4K 120Hz HDR 10bit 4:4:4 (No Gsync btw) as I have a 2080 Ti

It cost me 1200€ at Amazon.es

The Aorus FO48U is not any better than these TVs, right?

And a USB Type C adapter to HDMI, so I can benefit from 4K 120Hz HDR 10bit 4:4:4 (No Gsync btw) as I have a 2080 Ti
hopefully it's a higher-quality adapter that can actually support the higher bandwidth.
i've seen a lot of complaints from users who couldn't actually get 120Hz through a Type-C adapter due to cheap manufacturing and incorrect product information being displayed on Amazon.

Feb 13, 2021
hopefully it's a higher-quality adapter that can actually support the higher bandwidth.
i've seen a lot of complaints from users who couldn't actually get 120Hz through a Type-C adapter due to cheap manufacturing and incorrect product information being displayed on Amazon.
I hope so then. I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ec-20&linkId=55e9ef91324bc1077841f9ca990a725f

As suggested by this YouTuber who managed to do it:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLKBcjWPlrA

Reviews at Amazon seem to be good mentioning this use for the adapter.

Feb 13, 2021
Guys I've been using the C1 for a few days now and it's awesome! :giggle:

Although I'm suffering from auto-brightness/auto-dimming, I'll explain: I'm playing Diablo 2 Resurrected and suddenly, after playing for about 2-5 minutes the screen becomes so dark I almost can't see the game, and then randomly becomes bright again, sometimes I bring the TV Menu and it becomes bright again and sometimes not.

Is this a non modifiable feature to prevent burn in/damage or the so called ABL/ASBL? I'm playing with HDR On

I'd like to add too that if I minimize my web browser which has a white background and my desktop shows with my dark wallpaper I clearly see that the screen becomes a bit brighter because the wallpaper is dark and if I bring up the web browser again it becomes darker again.

I looked for all the settings and energy saving is off, etc, I even used some settings in reddit /OLED_Gaming recommended settings guide post: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/mbpiwy/lg_oled_gamingpc_monitor_recommended_settings/

@JohnBonhamsGhost @larsv8

Last edited: