InTakeYT1

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
Was looking into the RM650x but it seems a little dated..

Is it good or do you have any recommendations

Must be 80 + Gold and above and fully modular

Thanks in advance

Solution
The RMx is a very good PSU.

Their several good power supplies probably 12 or so high quality and 20
more or so acceptable quality (Gold really has nothing to do with it) 650 watts, it really depends on where you can buy parts from as to what the best buy would be.

EDIT for a BEST their not really one, anything you buy can fail or last 10 years or more of course as long as your not buying junk.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The RMx is a very good PSU.

Their several good power supplies probably 12 or so high quality and 20
more or so acceptable quality (Gold really has nothing to do with it) 650 watts, it really depends on where you can buy parts from as to what the best buy would be.

EDIT for a BEST their not really one, anything you buy can fail or last 10 years or more of course as long as your not buying junk.

Last edited:
Reactions: King_V
Solution
Is it good or do you have any recommendations
Adding a bit...I have a 4 yo RM650. Not the 'X' but the only difference is mine has Chinese- made capacitors (upper-tier ones though) and a rifle barrel fan. It's still as stone quiet as it was on day one, now running a 5700XT and 3700X processor in anything I do. The cooling fan stays off in gaming or regular CPU intensive useage and only comes on when Folding (F@H) using both CPU and GPU. Even then it's perfectly quiet.

Reactions: wi5pa
Was looking into the RM650x but it seems a little dated..

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

InTakeYT1

Commendable
Oct 27, 2020
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bro I'm asking this for a reason... COZ I DONT KNOW IF PARTS ARE RELIABLE NAHDOI

Oct 17, 2020
I'm not an electrical engineer or an industry expert like johnnyguru. However, I have been doing a LOT of research the past three months in preparation for putting together a new system. My computer is my only source of income so I need reliability much more than peak performance in most parts, although in a PSU they tend to go hand in hand. I enjoy the research, and I only upgrade on average every 7-8 years, so I want to get this right. The only parts I have ever had fail after the first 3 or 4 days are an off-brand M.2 drive, which was a nuisance since it had my OS on it, and a cheap power supply, which completely downed my system for two days. I was living in China and despite that being where they are all made, it took a lot of searching to find a replacement that was not utter crap. (I ended up with an FSP, by the way.) I learned my lesson and have put particular emphasis on the power supply since then (2005). I'm also on a pretty tight budget right now. Having said all that, if the Corsair RMx line was available in the country I currently live in, I would have been able to stop my research on power supplies a lot sooner. It would be my personal pick--in my case, an RM550x, since I don't need a lot of power. As for being a dated design, it is not. I did not realize it come out in 2015, but if it did it was certainly near state of the art, design-wise, at that time. PSUs are not like GPUs or CPUs. There is no continual advancement in the technology, at least at the high end. As long as a brand does not sit idle on its reptation and let quality go to hell due to poor oversight or cost cutting, a top quality design from 2015 is still a top quality unit in 2020.

Bro I'm asking this for a reason... COZ I DONT KNOW IF PARTS ARE RELIABLE NAHDOI

Ok. Let's be fair. Technologies do change in PSUs. But, as WalterIC above me points out, they don't change as much as a GPU or CPU.

It would take a novel sized post to explain to you how the different PSU topologies are newer or more beneficial. The information is out there, but it's not going to be in the form of a forum post.

I will say that obsolescence is a thing in PSUs. But rarely does it impact the end user. Lower sleep states introduced with Haswell pretty much made group regulation obsolete. And next year the same is going to be true with modern standby mode. But just like when C6 came out, if S0ix sleep state doesn't function properly on your system... you disable it. IEC 62368-1 is going to be required as of 2021, but that's a safety thing. Doesn't impact compatibility. And then you have the CEC requirement of 70% or better efficiency at loads as low as 2%, but that doesn't impact you as an end user. Just limits the selection of PSUs system builders shipping in and out of California can use in their builds.

Reactions: Juular
Oct 17, 2020
Upon reading my previous reply, I did state one thing incorrectly when I wrote, "There is no continual advancement in the technology." Of course there is. There are some very good engineers in this field, and if nothing else, advancements made in more critical industries will eventually make it to consumer PC power supplies. However, as johnnyguru correctly points out, it just does not impact the custom PC building end user very often. It is normally more of an incremental advancement rather than the stairstep pattern you would see if you plotted the advancements in more rapidly-evolving technologies. So taken as a group, power supplies at a given level (if you disregard tariffs and other outside influences which are not uniform worldwide) are better in 2020 than in 2015 than they were in 2015, but that does not mean that there are not units from 2015 that are just as good as similarly priced units which were more recently released. Or at least, that is the conclusion I have come to. If this is incorrect, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will say so.

Reactions: Juular